PDA

View Full Version : A4 2002 - Engine cutting out on corners

tullysaran
27-10-2009, 03:09 PM
hi guys

i noticed a recent problem of the engine cutting out for a split second when taking tight corners. the power steering switches of momentarily and i near crash, almost as if i have stalled the car. (which i havent) i have also notied a slight occasional squealing from the fan belt.

Any ideas anyone?

fourringsrus
27-10-2009, 06:39 PM
hi buddy, if your fan belt is occasionally squeeling,it is loose
if your fan belt is loose you will lose drive to power steering pump at lower revs

you might notice your ignition light flicker/flash at low revs,(more noticable in the dark)
as the same belt probably drives the alternater
re-set belt to correct tension or maybe replace worn belt.
stuart

tullysaran
27-10-2009, 06:44 PM
thanks stuart

is it a big job? recently got a new water pump, and am wondering if belt was loosened for this to be fitted?

fourringsrus
28-10-2009, 06:58 PM
i dont know which engine or car you have,but i would imagine any local garage of reasonable repute should be able to cope with the job.
when your water pump was replaced,a careless fitter may have disturbed things.
were you having these problems before the pump was changed or just since ,maybe just a coincidence so dont go and shoot the previous mechanic,ha,ha
should be quite a straight forward job if thats all that is the problem.
stuart

fourringsrus
31-10-2009, 10:21 PM
have you had chance to look into this yet?
stuart

tullysaran
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
hi fellas

left car with mechanic on friday, he says there is a self tensioner on that belt and it isnt loose. could it be a dodgy belt or something else?

asked him to look a t a slight knocking noise also, thought it might have been a bushing or something, he says i need a stump!!! it supports the wheel, pretty dangerous he says and i was lucky....never heard of it?

thoughts please:confused:

fourringsrus
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
A stump?
1st, how well do you trust your mechanic,because if he has inspected the belt tensioner ,he should have also inspected the belts as a matter of coarse
I think that maybe your guy is referring to wishbones/bushes or possibly a strut,,,ie shock absorber leg, but i have never heard of anything being referred to as a stump.
Another possibility is STUB as in stub axle,and I think the closest your car will get to that is the upper or lower swivel joints.
Have another chat with the fella, or consider the opinion of somebody else as a back up.
Good luck
Stuart

Buzzoff
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I would go down the road of changing the old belt for new to rule out the belt beibg an issue.