PDA

View Full Version : Dash symbol and heater problem !

tigerminx1
29-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi all, Driving my a3 1.6 sport (2000) tonight, and after 3-4 miles i noticed that the temperature guage had only just moved from the bottom.

Anyway, had a few extra miles to drive to get home. As i continued a 'warning' light came up on the dash.........It was on the left hand dial (rev counter one) and was a yellow triangle with a yellow exclamation mark inside of it, around the triangle was a yellow arrow going around in a anti-clockwise direction.
I dont know what this is, as ive only had the car two weeks and i didn't get a owners manual with it (got one on order, waiting for it to arrive).

By the time i got home, the temperature guage still had'nt moved. I tried the heater and there was only very very slightly warm air coming out.
I lifted the bonnet when i got home and checked the radiator hoses, the top hose was hot and the bottom one cold (i think i got that the right way around).
The fan was running also, and after i had parked the car in the garage it was still running.........
Is this a sticking thermostat ?????? And any clues on the warning light.
Any ideas.
Thanks in advance. :boggled: :confused:

Geraldy212
01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Hello Tigerminx, the light you are seeing should indicate that your traction control is turned off. Press the ESP button, and it should go out, indicating that traction control is working OK. On the heating, two things, one a sticking thermostat, but the other may be a broken water pump/belt. Or perhaps air in the water circulating system. Either way, it seems like the water is not circulating as it should, and needs serious attention. Good Luck.