PDA

View Full Version : Golf Plus reversing light

hethmar
26-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Only 2 months old Golf Plus - there is only one reversing light and its almost totally black at night when I look in my mirrors. Is this the norm?

Frelon
29-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, had my Gold Plus for three years and the single reversing light is pathetic. It was pathetic when new and has not improved!

I wrote to VW Product Managers in Germany advising them of this fault but did not even have the courtesy of a reply.

hethmar
29-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Not just me then :) Im thinking of adding a couple of lights - did you do that?

kenney
29-10-2009, 09:15 PM
You can overcome this problem by fitting the rear light cluster from a LHD vehicle and coding the control unit for 2 reversing lights;)

Frelon
29-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately I just accepted that it was part of VW cost cutting exercise!!:zx11:

When I reverse now at night I use the hazard warning lights (2 x 21 watts) it is much brighter, and safer!!

Apart from that the Golf Plus is a fabulous car. Just done 6000 Kms in Spain and southern France in the past two months, and not a murmur!

......and the space in the back cannot be beaten when you have the seats folded down.:D

BTW kenney my car is LHD!!!

hethmar
29-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh, thanks, never thought of that one :)

Yes, I love the car itself. I went to buy a Golf but when I tried the Plus there was no contest. I have a dodgey back and my goodness, what a difference this car makes.

Thanks Kenney, sounds a bit too techy for me :)

Dads taxi
30-11-2009, 03:15 PM
You can overcome this problem by fitting the rear light cluster from a LHD vehicle and coding the control unit for 2 reversing lights;)

Good tip - how difficult is the coding please?

Frelon
30-11-2009, 06:00 PM
......and will this mod then give us two rear fog lights?:confused:

kenney
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
yes that will give you 2 reversing lights.Change the long coding of the central electonics unit address 09. Reverse Driving Lights (1 = 1 active / 0 = 2 active)

Frelon
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, realise it will give two reversing lights, but what about high intensity rear fog lights? Surely that is a legal requirement?

kenney
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry didn't read your post properly.The fog lights function can be changed too Byte 03 Bit 1 Rear Fog Lights (1 = 1 active / 0 = 2 active),but i think the legal requirement is 1 fog light

Frelon
04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
So.........if at least one of these lights has to be a high intensity rear fog light, you will be unable to have two reversing lights???

A major c*ck up by VW, having rear lights for various European countries which need changing depending on where you live!!

But not a problem as far as the USA is concerned - I understand they do not need high intensity fog lights!!

kenney
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
No you can have 2 reversing lights and 1 fog light, 2 fog lights and 1 reversing light.or 2 fogs and 2 reversing lights each of the functions can be changed in the long coding of the central electronics unit

Frelon
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Kenney

That is just what I am looking for.

So if I buy a replacement rear light (in my case one for a right hand drive car) where the high intensity rear fog light is changed to a clear lens I can then have two reversing lights and two high intensity rear fog lights??

BUT both of these lights (reversing light and fog light) use a single 21 watt bulb!

Where does the red light come from if I have two clear lenses?

Sorry to be so dim but I cannot see how a tungsten bulb can change colour! LED, yes, but tungsten, No!