PDA

View Full Version : Passat SE 130bhp 03 reg total lack of power

FreddyTheFrog
30-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Passat SE 130bhp 5 speed 03 reg 34,000 miles bought 30-Jan-06 from a VW main agent.
I experienced a total lack of power in any gear at any speed although the owner reports that power appears to be intermittent.

Is this a dodgy/dead turbo or an intermittent MAF sensor? Any ideas?

Although the car is a SE spec, there's no cruise control or on-board-computer for displaying fuel consumption or radio settings.

Is this normal? Is it really a SE spec?
When did VW start putting a silver trim around the side of the SE spec car?
I don't remember seeing any silver trim on this one.
I'm begining to wonder if it's a standard S spec 100bhp with knackered turbo.

The owner has just bought this car today (30-Jan-06) from a VW main agent and has took it back tonight and demanded his money back after I gave it a test drive and told him what I thought of it. The bodywork looked ok. The only complaint here was the drivers side windscreen wiper mechanism that had been vandalised which hadn't been fixed by the VW dealership.

Dozz
31-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Pretty sure cruise was an opton on the SE Mines a 2001 and has no cruise. Look in the spare wheel well and look for a white sticker if it says 96kw it's a 130 if it says 74kw then it's a 100. My car has silver trim on the outside. Does it have climate control or just basic aircon? SE had climate as standard S came with hubcaps and SE with 15" alloys. DOes it have a cd player? Pretty sure s didn't as standard but most people had them fitted. Computer is standard on SE not sure about S It dosen't show radio stations anyway (or i'm to thick to have sussed out how). I to was almost conned with an 100 bhp being sold as a 130SE so easy done. Hope it's a 100 then he'll have the garage by the nuts with misleading infomation.

FreddyTheFrog
31-01-2006, 09:38 AM
It has climate control, alloys and cd player but no computer and no cruise.
On the Golf SE spec (53 reg) the top of the computer screen displays the current radio station or cd settings. If you disconnect the main battery and re-connect the display sometimes stops working. I found that I had to reset the computer by pressing both the button on the bottom and the one at the end of the stalk together.
VW have lent him a nice new Polo TDi in the meantime.

FreddyTheFrog
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
It was the turbo boost valve causing the problem - VW replaced it.

Dozz
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
AH THAT WILL DO IT. SO I TAKE IT IT WAS A 130 SE

FreddyTheFrog
02-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, so the paperwork says. It was registered Mar 03 and doesn't have the silver trim around the edges so it looks like an S. The computer is also now working. It's a pity about it not having cruise. The owner is so impressed with the car he's talking about buying a new Mk5 Passat - the 2.0L 140bhp spec estate.

FreddyTheFrog
04-02-2006, 01:03 AM
The latest update is that the owner now wants his money back or another car that is in a better condition. There's a couple of problems still outstanding - passenger seat adjustment not working and a rattle in the dash. He also thinks the car has been involved in a collision at some point as he thinks the front wing is slightly out of alignment but I'm not convinced. I also pointed out that one of the rear tyres was of an odd make and that the tyres that were worn were both on the passenger side front and back. The newer ones were on the drivers side front and back - a little odd. He's happy now that the cars performance has returned and the damaged wiper arm has been replaced but he feels that the garage didn't check the car, as they promised, before releasing it so he now wants a newer replacement with less mileage - he's prepared to pay a bit more.

Dozz
04-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Oh dear this could get messy.