PDA

View Full Version : Fault code

philglasgow
29-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Guys

I got a a fault code of "mass air flow short to b+ intermittent". I can clear code and replicate by taking revs above 3k every time , silly question does this mean the maff is knackered, I did however remove the maf sensor and it looks like there should be a diode or resistor fitted to it but mine doesnt seem to have one, im gonna change as many vacuum pipes as possible .
If its faulty i see cheap ones on fleabay, even euro will sell me one for 29 quid plus vat, I take it these are not worth the bother ??? a bosch is around 60 quid but I heard these arent too reliable either,

Any thoughts???

Also sorry to be thick but how do i find the paint code for my 1997 tdi ,the vin plate just shows numbers ,

Thanks

Phil

onzarob
29-04-2007, 08:27 PM
I would say the MAF is knackered, I don't think the latest bosch units are unreliable...the early one yes.

I have a MAF off ebay and its ok, but with hindsight i wish i bought a genuine one for peice on mind..you live and learn;)

Ansd finally the paint code...in the wheel well in the boot...all the otpion codes are there on a white sticker:D

Rob

Sam
30-04-2007, 10:44 AM
If you let us know what colour it is in realworld names, someone will know the official name

philglasgow
30-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi

its a Metallic Red 1997 tdi s , it looks like canyon red but when applied it looks way to light , im using grey primer instead of red so maybe it needs more , but it looks way out to me .

on another subject can anyone else confirm that my MAF should have a resistor or diode on it as mine doesnt. incidently , when vagcom was connected , the readings whilst driving for my maf go right of the scale 1275 was the figure i remember , im assuming the maf is faulty.

thanks for all replies

Phil

Sam
30-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Colorado Red or Golden Orange Metallic are the B5 colour names.

I think a 97 is a B4 though?

So it's either

Indian Red Pearl - LC3T/Y8 (more orange than pure red)

or

Tornado Red - LY3D/G2 (bright red)

Check your sticker in your spare wheel well for one of the codes just to be sure.

philglasgow
30-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Im sure its a b5 , well its the same as my mates who has an r reg and its a b5

i think lol

Thanks

Sam
30-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Sorry, you're correct it's a B5 (96 > 2001)

So that makes your paint code;

LB3Y

http://www.ralphb.net/passatred1.jpg

Does it look like that?

philglasgow
30-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes it does look similar to this , I didnt see that in halfords is it a dealer only paint , or maybe halfords dont carry as much stock as before,

Thanks for taking the time to find out . cheers

Phil