PDA

View Full Version : How To HID kit installed (99 onwards)

martinA4passat
25-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi every one dont know if this will benefit any one but I fitted at 35w 4300K HID upgrade kit I purchased from HID's Direct at the weekend and it was well worth it. I only went ahead as I have the later projector lenses.

First I had to remove the 3 torx screws to remove the headlight 2 at the front on top of the light and one at the back near the wing accessed through a whole in the top of the slam pannel.

Headlight removed, I then removed the old bulb and replaced with the HID bulb, Then I had to use a 21mm drill to make a hole in the bulb cover at the back of the light and fit the grommet supplied, then plugged the original connector plug off the back of the original bulb into the loom supplied and connected the new connector to the new bulb both of which then connect to the ballasts supplied for each headlight. then I attached the balast in the space under the headlight using the brackets and screws supplied.

About an hours work if you have the correct tools and take your time.

The result is great no more candel light on dipt beam, no more blindness when cars are behind me or coming towards me no black spots on the road ahead. I have had the lights checked for adjustment and they were spot on so no dazelling on-coming motorists. There is a very slight blue tinge but the main thing is I can now see on these dark drives home from work at this time of year.

So far I have had no issues with bulb out warnings. I can recomend the upgrade as a good home DIY job but do not think the same conversion would be sensible on the older reflector type headlamps due to no way of properly focusing the extra light and dazelling on-coming cars.

If anyone would like to know the name of the kit I used I can recomend through a PM, I am not linked to the company in any way so I am not biast.

Hope this might help someone who is considering this upgrade!:beerchug:

Quattros
26-10-2009, 12:49 AM
sounds good.. any pics? i have a4 1999 with xenon headlghts. thinks the hid woud be straight fitment..

side lights as normal?
headlights hid?
main beam hid? 9worth doing or not?
front fogs?.. (doubt worth doing)

all seperate bulbs.. h7 bulbs..

pm me with your supplier and price? interested.
thanks.

olds_kool
26-10-2009, 10:37 AM
how much did they cost? ive got a 4300k ebay cheapy kit that look bright but the light output is dreadfull

martinA4passat
26-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi I got the Canbus Pro kit was £79.99 delivered and looks like a professional kit, I have heard of some cheap Chinese kits that are dangerous (lights failing when you are driving) and voltage problems causing wind screen wipers to fail thats why I avoided the very bottom of the range kits.;)

martinA4passat
26-10-2009, 07:10 PM
sounds good.. any pics? i have a4 1999 with xenon headlghts. thinks the hid woud be straight fitment..

side lights as normal?
headlights hid?
main beam hid? 9worth doing or not?
front fogs?.. (doubt worth doing)

all seperate bulbs.. h7 bulbs..

pm me with your supplier and price? interested.
thanks.

Should be a straight fit like mine was H7, Not really worth doing main beams as they are pretty good as they are and are enhanced by the low beam now anyway, I have seen the fog lights done but I dont think I will bother as they dont get much use anyway. side lights are only marker lights so down to individual taste I supose.

martinA4passat
26-10-2009, 07:14 PM
how much did they cost? ive got a 4300k ebay cheapy kit that look bright but the light output is dreadfull

Have you tested the system to make sure everything is working correctly? Check the bulbs are the correct wattage 35w or 55w for the correct kit, is one bulb more yellow than the other? Also do they start dim and get brighter after 5 or so seconds? They should start week and intensify. What were your old bulbs like before the conversion?:confused:

aerotec
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Martin,

I am interested in fitting a HID kit to my 2000 A4 (even though the dark nights are getting shorter!).

I have found this one and wonder if it looks anything like the one you bought?

http://www.autoperformanceparts.co.uk/userimages/procart7.htm

Ta

aerotec
15-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I am after a HID kit for my 00 A4 Avant and was going to get these from HIDS-Direct:

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-conversion-kits-35w/audi-hid-kits/audi-ultra-35w-hid-conversion-kits-p-254.html

However I have had some questions and been trying to ring them all day and it has been constantly engaged like the phone is just off the hook. I am hesitant to place the order with them now.

I want to find out how they differ to:

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-conversion-kits-slim-35w/h1h3h7h1190059006-hid-kits/single-beam-canbus-pro-hid-conversion-kit-p-453.html

Is it worth getting 50w or will that be too much for the wiring and more likely to dazzle other drivers?

Also looking for a matching 501 W5W bulb. Don't want that one to be too bright but just 4300k white as I have seen cars with HID but Halogen sidelight and nicer to get them matched up.

Sageowl
14-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi every one dont know if this will benefit any one but I fitted at 35w 4300K HID upgrade kit I purchased from HID's Direct at the weekend and it was well worth it. I only went ahead as I have the later projector lenses.

First I had to remove the 3 torx screws to remove the headlight 2 at the front on top of the light and one at the back near the wing accessed through a whole in the top of the slam pannel.

Headlight removed, I then removed the old bulb and replaced with the HID bulb, Then I had to use a 21mm drill to make a hole in the bulb cover at the back of the light and fit the grommet supplied, then plugged the original connector plug off the back of the original bulb into the loom supplied and connected the new connector to the new bulb both of which then connect to the ballasts supplied for each headlight. then I attached the balast in the space under the headlight using the brackets and screws supplied.

About an hours work if you have the correct tools and take your time.

The result is great no more candel light on dipt beam, no more blindness when cars are behind me or coming towards me no black spots on the road ahead. I have had the lights checked for adjustment and they were spot on so no dazelling on-coming motorists. There is a very slight blue tinge but the main thing is I can now see on these dark drives home from work at this time of year.

So far I have had no issues with bulb out warnings. I can recomend the upgrade as a good home DIY job but do not think the same conversion would be sensible on the older reflector type headlamps due to no way of properly focusing the extra light and dazelling on-coming cars.

If anyone would like to know the name of the kit I used I can recomend through a PM, I am not linked to the company in any way so I am not biast.

Hope this might help someone who is considering this upgrade!:beerchug:
Just one point to add and one question.... The hids-direct kit has connectors to go into the existing light plug. On my car (2000 A4 2.4SE) brown is gound and red is +12V. Might save someone some head scratching 'cos if you wire it the wrong way round, the HIDs won't work. Probably won't break anything but won't work.

My kit had the ballasts and a module for overcoming any bulb failure warning. Couldn't fin anwhere suitable to mount it all so I drilled a couple of holes in the cardboard-type housing just below where the headlight sits. Where did you fit yours martinA4Passat?

alka-seltzer
24-12-2010, 06:27 AM
I fitted an HID kit after reading this and a few posts on other forums as I was very unimpressed with the light output from the car.

All I can say is that it's an unbelievable difference, and I feel a lot more confident and safe when driving in the dark.

Like martinA4passat said in his first post, the standard headlights are like candles - not after being HID'd up though!

Again, after reading posts I didn't want to go for a cheapo kit, or a stupid blue tint as I just wanted more light.

So far I haven't been flashed by any oncoming traffic, and the beam pattern looks exactly as it was with the standard bulbs in the projector lamps.

Can thoroughly recommend doing this (at least with the kit I bought), as in my opinion, the standard headlights on the facelift A4 are poor at best and dangerous at worst.

Cheers,

Nick