PDA

View Full Version : Please Help boot wont open with remote or lever.

ziggy2162
25-10-2009, 04:45 PM
more help needed here. my boot will not open with the in car lever or the romote key fob. it only opens manually with key. is there a fuse for the boot opening? or is it something more sinister? cheers Zig. i have 2001 passat 130 TDI

peagreenpassat
25-10-2009, 06:01 PM
i had the same problem. had to crawl into the boot through the back seat and open it manually. pulled the stiff wire to the lock and it opened. had to replace the electronic lock mechanism in the boot lid. not too expensive just inconvenient.

codlord
26-10-2009, 12:04 PM
One thing to check first is what happened to mine - the outside handle to open the boot was jamming in the open position, so the spring was not returning it to the closed position. If this happens it won't open with the fob etc. Try fiddling with it to ensure you can hear the microswitch click when you press and release it.

If it is jamming I did see an article somewhere on how to get to it to lube it up but the rubber cover on mine had a small hole in it already so I just put the WD40 straw into the hole and sprayed a load in there that way. Been fine since.

vroooOOOM
26-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I had this problem:
I crawled to the rear of the boot and popped it open with a screw driver:

I then stripped out the rear boot lid cover and inspected the locking mechanism:

During the winter the rear windscreen pipe had frozen and split the washer hose connection to the wiper unit, this allowed water to fall onto the switching mechanism and short out the relay:

I remade off the water hose and cleaned n dried the lock mechanism I also made a slight adjustment to the spring to ensure it released when activated:

If your boot won't open try opening it with the key and firmly not hit! More of a weighted press on the boot handle before opening:

Have fun vroooOOOM

teddy
26-10-2009, 10:37 PM
were is the relay for the boot locking mechanism???
my own boot wont lock but then my boot handle is hanging off a little on d/s,and water can get in. will have to fix this first

vroooOOOM
27-10-2009, 01:30 PM
It'l be almost imediatly behind the handle, Yep inside the door, have you got a boot opener latch/switch/button inside the car? try that otherwise it'll need to be opened from inside,:zx11: if you hav a car,(I have an estate) canyou access it from inside i.e. climp over the rear seat, you'' need a flat head screwdrive and a tourch, have fun.:beerchug:

teddy
27-10-2009, 07:44 PM
my problem is that mines not locking so iv no trouble gettin in,its tryin to keep thievin c**ts out. what do these cost???
wha they worth s/h?
and are they easy fitted?
cheers in advance

vroooOOOM
27-10-2009, 08:55 PM
my problem is that mines not locking so iv no trouble gettin in,its tryin to keep thievin c**ts out. what do these cost???
wha they worth s/h?
and are they easy fitted?
cheers in advance

If the latch doesn’t fully engage then it won't lock, close the boot and pres the lock on the key fob and listen near the boot lock, can you hear the lock actuating? If so, its adjustment and not the actuator, try spraying some wd40 up into the lock, if that don't work then try this, with the boot open take a round shaft screwdriver preferably one that has the same size diameter as the anchor pole that the lock engages when its closed, press the shaft of the screwdriver into the lock and the lock should engage the shaft of the screwdriver like it would if you were closing the boot, now lock the boot (with boot still open) and try lifting the handle to simulate opening the boot, if it doesn’t release then its locking OK and simply not engaging the anchor pole correctly, make sure you unlock and lift the handle before trying to close the boot lid for real cos it wont close if you've left it in its locked position, hope this makes sense.

If however you can't hear the mechanism actuating when you press lock on the key fob its more than likely an electrical fault, if you know a little about relays you could take the cover of the inside of the boot lid and investigate further, there should be 2 wires on a relay just get a tester and check for 12v current when the lock is actuated, if you get current its a new relay, no current, check wiring diagram for possible fuse blown.
Good luck.

teddy
27-10-2009, 09:35 PM
cheers lad must do that on dinner tomorrow

me1onhead
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
vroooOOOM.....ygm

nojam
10-03-2010, 08:49 PM
How can I open the boot lid from inside passat estate (1999)? There is nowhere to insert a screw driver.
Cheers

nbat58
06-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I am wondering the same here, how do you open the boot with a screw driver from the inside?

My Passat is a 2001 saloon, you think they would have a emergency latch or pull cord somewhere seeing the spare wheel is in there.

Pretty shoddy safety feature if you ask me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ceyc
12-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Hello

hopefully someone can help me with a problem I am having with my boot on a 2003 A6 C5 Saloon. For the first time ever today the boot simply wont open. The remote has never worked on it so its always opened via the handle. However today the handle doesn't seem to be doing anything. I cannot access the boot via the back seats as my model has metal behind the seats so there is no access from there. I have tried with the key turning back and fourth but that does nothing either. So I am at a loss. Is there any way to access the latch from the exterior of the car? or has anyone ever had this problem before and resolved it.

I have tried applying pressure on various part of the boot while using the handle - pressing on the area below the number plate, pressing down on the boot. - didn't work
I have tried locking/unlocking etc with the key - didn't work
I have tried to take the number plate surround off but its bolted on from inside the boot
I have tried pulling up the boot while using the handle - didn't work
I have tried banging on the boot below the number plate by the latch - didn't work

so if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it

thanks