PDA

View Full Version : emission control warning light

simonavo
25-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello all, just joined the forum , a very good resource for anyone who wants to know more about what goes on under the bonnet!

The emmison control warning light on my MY2007 A8L 3.0 TDI has come on intermitantly a couple of times. It seems to be only when the fuel tank is below half full. The light goes out after the tank is brimmed with fuel.
What can cause this? The car is due a 120,000 service in a couple thousand should I leave it till then or get it checked ASAP.

Thanks
Simon

Mcobinad
19-02-2010, 02:30 AM
hello,

I bought an A8 03 Model 4,2L Quattro early this year january at a non killing budget. The week i bought this car, i traveled to France with the car and this is the moment to see if the car is really kicking if it doesn't come on with faulty problems like the emission control warning or any problem at all. In France, i noticed the warning light came up and disappeared and finally came to stay but since i had only 28 days warranty from the garage i bought the car in the uk, i called the guy and explained the problem but he told me to wait until i return to the uk before knowing what to do. Upon arriving uk i called the guy to let him know that am back and that i need to book the car in any nearby garage around my area instead of traveling 150 Miles to see the guy i bought the vehicle from since the car is still under warranty. All he needs to know if its a VAT registerd garage. But this guy objected saying that i should travel all the way to his place to leave the car with him for a couple of days or so to find the error because he can't afford to pay another mechanic something he himself can afford to fix by the guys who work for his auto company. Which means i needed to return home by train which took me more than 5 hours from the garage. On leaving, he told me to ring the garage 2 days after to inquire of the result of the diagnosis. I did just so and the guy told me that series of errors popped up but he needed to know the particular problem why the light turns on each time he tries to off it. The car stayed with him for 2 Days without the emission control warning light showing because he told his mechanic to turn it off. He called me to let me know that all has been sorted, i requested if he replaced any particular part faulty but he said that he only offed the light but i said that it might still come on if no adequate measure is taken to replace any weak part since my warranty was reallly running out of hand and i know that if he doesn't sort it while my warranty is on that its going to be a big problem later. Back to my story, i bought my train ticket to undergo some 5 hours journey to collect my car since he told me that the problem of the light might not reappear anymore. Back on the motor way M1 i did almost 150 Miles that night without the problem coming back and i waited all the week and suddenly there reappears this killing emission control warning light and i was on a low fuel tank when this thing came up. What really is the problem cos i can't get to tavel all the time to see this fellow each time i have got this car problem and the worst is that my warranty is up. Or do i put a poor fuel on it Knowing that i put unleaded petrol 95 on the car or should i have put Unleaded 97 cos this comes each time when am on a low tank and doesn't go off even if the tank is full. What do i do knowing fully this car is really expensive should anything go wrong. The parts are not cheap atall and i do not have that money to spend cos the issue here is that the diagnosis came up with series of faults so to my best of knowledge one needs to fix the whole faults before one could be stress free of any emission warning light. Any answer to my questions are richly welcomed. Thanks in advance for your anticipated replies.

Mcobinad
19-02-2010, 02:36 AM
hello,

I bought an A8 03 Model 4,2L Quattro early this year january at a non killing budget. The week i bought this car, i traveled to France with the car and this is the moment to see if the car is really kicking if it doesn't come on with faulty problems like the emission control warning or any problem at all. In France, i noticed the warning light came up and disappeared and finally came to stay but since i had only 28 days warranty from the garage i bought the car in the uk, i called the guy and explained the problem but he told me to wait until i return to the uk before knowing what to do. Upon arriving uk i called the guy to let him know that am back and that i need to book the car in any nearby garage around my area instead of traveling 150 Miles to see the guy i bought the vehicle from since the car is still under warranty. All he needs to know if its a VAT registerd garage. But this guy objected saying that i should travel all the way to his place to leave the car with him for a couple of days or so to find the error because he can't afford to pay another mechanic something he himself can afford to fix by the guys who work for his auto company. Which means i needed to return home by train which took me more than 5 hours from the garage. On leaving, he told me to ring the garage 2 days after to inquire of the result of the diagnosis. I did just so and the guy told me that series of errors popped up but he needed to know the particular problem why the light turns on each time he tries to off it. The car stayed with him for 2 Days without the emission control warning light showing because he told his mechanic to turn it off. He called me to let me know that all has been sorted, i requested if he replaced any particular part faulty but he said that he only offed the light but i said that it might still come on if no adequate measure is taken to replace any weak part since my warranty was reallly running out of hand and i know that if he doesn't sort it while my warranty is on that its going to be a big problem later. Back to my story, i bought my train ticket to undergo some 5 hours journey to collect my car since he told me that the problem of the light might not reappear anymore. Back on the motor way M1 i did almost 150 Miles that night without the problem coming back and i waited all the week and suddenly there reappears this killing emission control warning light and i was on a low fuel tank when this thing came up. What really is the problem cos i can't get to tavel all the time to see this fellow each time i have got this car problem and the worst is that my warranty is up. Or do i put a poor fuel on it Knowing that i put unleaded petrol 95 on the car or should i have put Unleaded 97 cos this comes each time when am on a low tank and doesn't go off even if the tank is full. What do i do knowing fully this car is really expensive should anything go wrong. The parts are not cheap atall and i do not have that money to spend cos the issue here is that the diagnosis came up with series of faults so to my best of knowledge one needs to fix the whole faults before one could be stress free of any emission warning light. Any answer to my questions are richly welcomed. Thanks in advance for your anticipated replies.