PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin A4 3.0TDI

peskypete
25-10-2009, 01:40 PM
anyone bought one and has any feedback to offer ?

I had one my old Mondeo ST TDCi and i convinced myself it made a big difference !!

had my A4 3.0TDI quattro SE for a week now, and not massively impressed with performance YET. don't get me wrong, when it's mid-flight the acceleration is top class, but it all feels a bit restrained when you are pulling away if you know what I mean...

seems like there is a hell of a lot of power but it doesnt seem to want to unleash it. To be fair the car has only done 300miles and still feels rather tight and i'm guessing will improve. Its still a fantastic car, and roadholding is fantastic, but the 0-60 time of 6.1secs seems a distant dream at the minute !! my 57plate A6 2.8FSI tiptronic seemed faster, unless i'm clearly driving the new car it like an old grandad and need to put my foot to the floor instead !!

motechmike
26-10-2009, 09:38 AM
He we do a lot of tuning for Audi dealers.. You car will get better hust give it time !!

As for Bluefin iam not 100% sure they can offer one for the B8's as yet.

Thanks Mike

robtt09
26-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Just passed 8000 miles in my 09 3.00tdi and it beginning to loosen up.Amazed it had taken all this time .If you want a quick fillip then add some Millers diesel enhancer .It ups the cetane rating on the diesel by about 3 and really makes a difference .Also makes a smooth engine smoother.You can get it on the net or at Halfords.Buy it and try it before thinking of any other performance routes.

Pauls898
26-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Well I just passed the 1000 mile point in mine and I'm finding it very quick! Does your model have the Auto/Dynamic/Comfort/Individual settings? If you switch it to Dynamic then the car really comes to life. Also I have tried some of the Shell V Power Diesal, that seems to make it more responsive too, but as oun mileages are still low the engine still needs to loosen up more!

robtt09
26-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Mine is standard auto and if you put it into Sport setting does make a significant difference .I have found little difference in performance between the"super" and standard diesel fuel and now get the ordinary BP and Shell stuff but add a shot of Millers each time.

Plife
26-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I think the 0-60 times, just like claimed fuel economy, are on the optimistic side.

I cannot get aywhere near the advertised time for mine!

I have bluefin on my 2.0T and to me it makes a huge difference. There is a lot more torque low down in the rev range.

To me is was a no brainer as I had it on my Focus ST. The performance gain is worth the relatively small cost in my book.

c7trp
26-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Pete, I think I know what you mean.

I've come from a 183ps 2.5TDI and it seem'd quicker than the 3.0.

HOWEVER :D

The 3.0 is much, much quieter, and it all seems to be happening, but with very little noise IYSWIM.

Judging by the way things disappear in the rear view mirror it seems to move OK!

At low rev's the car is quite subdued and easy to drive. I don't know if this is by design, but seems to be in "eco / granny" mode until about 2000 rpm and then it wakes up.

I think the torque/power band is narrower on the 2.5....

But then it does more MPG!

Pauls898
26-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I did a 200 run in mine yesterday and it returned an avarage for the jouney of 44MPG and the overall avarage from new is 40.3MPG so an happy with that and I wasn't hanging around, on Motorways I didn't drop much below 80 :D

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:12 PM
He we do a lot of tuning for Audi dealers.. You car will get better hust give it time !!

Thanks Mike
thanks for feedback. will give it another month before jumping in with both feet !

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I did a 200 run in mine yesterday and it returned an avarage for the jouney of 44MPG and the overall avarage from new is 40.3MPG so an happy with that and I wasn't hanging around, on Motorways I didn't drop much below 80 :D
thats pretty impressive mpg. done 500miles and averaging 38mpg but haven't pushed it yet.

how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking
can't remember if i paid £250 or £500 last time !
my brain is blocking it out ... think i told the missus £250 but was prob nearer £500 !

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Just passed 8000 miles in my 09 3.00tdi and it beginning to loosen up.Amazed it had taken all this time .If you want a quick fillip then add some Millers diesel enhancer .It ups the cetane rating on the diesel by about 3 and really makes a difference .Also makes a smooth engine smoother.You can get it on the net or at Halfords.Buy it and try it before thinking of any other performance routes.
cheers. saw this stuff in the past but never sure if it was a waste of money. thanks for suggestion - never really thought about trying it ... def worth a punt for what it costs per fill... !

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Pete, I think I know what you mean.

I've come from a 183ps 2.5TDI and it seem'd quicker than the 3.0.

HOWEVER :D

The 3.0 is much, much quieter, and it all seems to be happening, but with very little noise IYSWIM.

Judging by the way things disappear in the rear view mirror it seems to move OK!

At low rev's the car is quite subdued and easy to drive. I don't know if this is by design, but seems to be in "eco / granny" mode until about 2000 rpm and then it wakes up.

I think the torque/power band is narrower on the 2.5....

But then it does more MPG!
that's it in a nutshell. seems all very hushed and refined... you're right though... pressed the right pedal a bit more last night.... would have guessed it was 80 but apparently was 100 ! km/h of course and only for a wee while on an empty motorway..... i'm not a speedfreak but nice to have it on tap for when the bmw drivers start cutting you up !!

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I think the 0-60 times, just like claimed fuel economy, are on the optimistic side.

I cannot get aywhere near the advertised time for mine!

I have bluefin on my 2.0T and to me it makes a huge difference. There is a lot more torque low down in the rev range.

To me is was a no brainer as I had it on my Focus ST. The performance gain is worth the relatively small cost in my book.
ta. will do some homework on cost...

i nearly went for 2.0T myself but got offered my 3.0TDI cheaper, so couldnt refuse even though its the colour my granda would have picked !!

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Mine is standard auto and if you put it into Sport setting does make a significant difference .I have found little difference in performance between the"super" and standard diesel fuel and now get the ordinary BP and Shell stuff but add a shot of Millers each time.
thanks for pointer on millers stuff. gonna try it out ..

ps did anybody tell the insurance co about the bluefin if they went down that path, and do you upload original settings when servicing ?

peskypete
27-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I just passed the 1000 mile point in mine and I'm finding it very quick! Does your model have the Auto/Dynamic/Comfort/Individual settings? If you switch it to Dynamic then the car really comes to life. Also I have tried some of the Shell V Power Diesal, that seems to make it more responsive too, but as oun mileages are still low the engine still needs to loosen up more!
hi ..

nope,sadly i don't have that luxury !! got an pre-reg showroom model, so didnt get all the bits & bobs i wanted. wanted elec-folding mirrors, parking sensors etc but ended up with leather, satnav, multichanger, bluetooth, and i-pod thingy.... (ipod now on my xmas list) ... never mind... to be fair i wanted 2.0T or 3.0TDI for the engine so i shouldnt moan....

I've always gone at least 6months old, so have never really had a car with my own true spec..

i wanted another auto but wor-lass was having none of that cos she reckons they are too hard to drive..... hmmm.. saying that its nice to get back into the swing of driving a proper manual car again .... it took me 2days to get out of auto mode ... i'd forgotten how bad it was to drive in slow moving traffic ... !

peskypete
28-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Thanks Mike
hi mike
was checking out your site.
it mentions A4 3.0TDI oiginal at 204ps and 450Nm...
..... should this not be 240ps and 500Nm...?

if so what sort of enhancement figures does your product offer, as the ones stated are similar to the actual.... unless i'm wrong and i apologise as i'm not a techno !!

cheers

simonhouse
28-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Bluefin has been available for the 240ps model for about 3 months now.. I have it running on my 2.7 B8 and it is awesome..... makes a big difference..
My car is in for 1st service today so I plugged in the bluefin and reset to original for the service (very easy to do) and will plug back in later and upload it again... the car feels gutless without the bluefin but then I think that is me being used to having it on there and then taking it off... it never felt gutless when I first got the car!

motechmike
28-10-2009, 10:44 AM
hi mike
was checking out your site.
it mentions A4 3.0TDI oiginal at 204ps and 450Nm...
..... should this not be 240ps and 500Nm...?

if so what sort of enhancement figures does your product offer, as the ones stated are similar to the actual.... unless i'm wrong and i apologise as i'm not a techno !!

cheers

Sorry the site is very out of date.. Keep your eyes out for the new one

We see the later car's about the 290hp mark with 580ish NM:biglaugh:

Awsome fun to drive after

troc
28-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Meh, you are scaring my S4.

Where's that MTM tuning phone number :)

motechmike
28-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Bluefin has been available for the 240ps model for about 3 months now.. I have it running on my 2.7 B8 and it is awesome..... makes a big difference..
My car is in for 1st service today so I plugged in the bluefin and reset to original for the service (very easy to do) and will plug back in later and upload it again... the car feels gutless without the bluefin but then I think that is me being used to having it on there and then taking it off... it never felt gutless when I first got the car!

The Bluefin is a good tool to flash the car's.

Just watch out that if Audi do an update to your car as in SW number you dont flash you old tuned file back in.. Take a read again and get them to send you a new file with the new update too..

simonhouse
28-10-2009, 03:51 PM
The Bluefin is a good tool to flash the car's.

Just watch out that if Audi do an update to your car as in SW number you dont flash you old tuned file back in.. Take a read again and get them to send you a new file with the new update too..

Cheers Mike will keep an eye out for that... I did actually take a photo of the screen with software versions on before I took it in this morning and it came back with the same but very useful to know in future...

peskypete
20-11-2009, 12:42 AM
thanks for feedback. i'm tempted to go shopping for one... what the heck... ps do people generally tell their insurer if they do, cos i must have forgotten to get round to that last time i had bluefin

peskypete
20-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Sorry the site is very out of date.. Keep your eyes out for the new one

We see the later car's about the 290hp mark with 580ish NM:biglaugh:

Awsome fun to drive after
sounds fun !!

Plife
20-11-2009, 08:06 AM
thanks for feedback. i'm tempted to go shopping for one... what the heck... ps do people generally tell their insurer if they do, cos i must have forgotten to get round to that last time i had bluefin
Always tell your insurer!!! A small rise in the premium is much better than them refusing to pay out if you stack your car!

ScottyUK
20-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Always tell your insurer!!! A small rise in the premium is much better than them refusing to pay out if you stack your car!

Plus instead of just thinking about the risk to yourself if you have an accident and may have to pay for your own repairs, you're also technically driving without insurance and hence exposing all of us. Worst case scenario is you're involved in an accident, whether you fault or not and someone loses their life. Insurers could deem you're not insured and then since you're then driving without insurnace and effectively shouldn't have been on the road, you could be to blame for an accident that physically wasn't your fault. Imagine if there are medical costs or if someone lost their life. You'd potentially be sued for every penny you've got. Therefore instead of the risk being you may have to pay for repaird to your car, effectively you could be gambling with your house, car and everything else.

OK I know that's the worst case but is it worth it for the small premium increase? ;)

peskypete
21-11-2009, 01:10 AM
stay cool chaps, I wasn't proposing to do so, but points taken anyway. I was merely seeing if i was in the minority when i did it on a company car some 5years ago, which was clearly naughty, but was ideally looking for feedback on what effect on premium so i can work out it's VFM to actually fit it on new car.. nice to see the law abiding citizens are on this forum are watching out for us !

avant_adam
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
My experience of tuning and insurance was that the premium went up in the same ratio as the power increase. At least, that seemed to be the case with Adrian Flux who are tuner friendly. That being the case the BlueFin would be about a 25% premium increase.