PDA

View Full Version : Question Shocking Advant

chuffingaudi
23-10-2009, 09:33 AM
The handling of my 1997 1.9tdi A4 Advant has gone all to pot of late, wallowing in the corners, taking off in different directions when going over pot holes, tramlining and generally bouncing the rear end all over the place, scaring the wife and kids like halloween has come early. A cursory look has revealed the rear shocks have blown their seals with oil pouring out over them.

Does anyone know if the suspension units (entire spring and shock asssemble) from the better handling later 01 - 09 model will fit - or can any one recommend any decent oem units.

Cheers

johnwintle
23-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Not sure if the later ones will fit, but OEM ones from Bilstein or Sachs/Boge would fit the bill for you.

chuffingaudi
23-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks John, my local factor is trying to sell me Monroe or KYB. I understand Audi suffers from poor dampers, would you know if these be OK or would it be better to go further afield for the Boge, Sachs or Bilstien?

johnwintle
23-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Monroe and Boge were two of the OEM (as listed in ETKA parts catalogue) suppliers to Audi.
I could not tell you if the Monroe ones that you would be supplied by the local factor would be to the Audi spec of not.

Also try you local Audi/VW dealer for a price compare. Normally rear shocks are from around £65 each from the dealer, depending on the exact model etc, I don't know if the Avant ones are more.

Have a look online at ECP or GSF's websites as they will list what is available for you car and a price. You could always order them from there or find you nearest outlet.

adamss24
23-10-2009, 07:36 PM
The handling of my 1997 1.9tdi A4 Advant has gone all to pot of late, wallowing in the corners, taking off in different directions when going over pot holes, tramlining and generally bouncing the rear end all over the place, scaring the wife and kids like halloween has come early. A cursory look has revealed the rear shocks have blown their seals with oil pouring out over them.

Does anyone know if the suspension units (entire spring and shock asssemble) from the better handling later 01 - 09 model will fit - or can any one recommend any decent oem units.

Cheers

Hi mate, got a pair of rear shocks to fit your avant, i've listed them in the clasifieds... They are heavy duty KYB shocks boxed and complete with bump stops/helper springs. Bought in error for me quattro but found out they are for a FWD car ! Sntt a PM a well... Regards, Chris-077 899 12128.

chuffingaudi
24-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses. After checking out the manufacturers websites I have plumped for the monroe's sold by the local parts shop. Mainly because they have a two year warranty and I can start work on fitting them straight away and have them on by before work next week. Cost £37.97 ea.

chuffingaudi
24-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the offer Chris. If the local shop had not been able to supply today, I would of taken you up on the offer, have you thought about putting them up on Ebay as they would make a great bagian for someone. I will let you know how the monroe's turn out.

richie_jones
24-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses. After checking out the manufacturers websites I have plumped for the monroe's sold by the local parts shop. Mainly because they have a two year warranty and I can start work on fitting them straight away and have them on by before work next week. Cost £37.97 ea.

Hi

Just completed this job myself, its pretty easy and i`d recomend changing the bumpstops also. £ 13 each from audi. Don`t wanna teach you to suck eggs so if you need any info send me a PM...

chuffingaudi
31-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Have just completed swopping the rear shocks over. In the end plumped for monroe gasmatics and ordered the monroe shock protection kit which comes with new bumpstops and gaitors as recommended by Richie. This is definately worth ordering the same time as the shocks on a car of this age as the old bumpsstops were looking pretty shabby.

The car now feels transformed, if not a little to taught, but I am hoping the new suspension will bed in after a bit of use. My thanks goes to all those who responded.