PDA

View Full Version : VW Fault code reader thingy

eamonlaser
28-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi folks, I hope this doesn't seem forward for a noob ;), but does anyone have a fault reader thing I could borrow?

I've just bought a VW Transporter (after TOO many years driving a Transit) and have spent over my budget (overdraft up to the hilt...) in order to afford it. Now after four weeks, the glow-plug light has started flashing. Sometimes, restarting the engine will clear it, sometimes it won't. I have read on here that it can be caused by a mulititude of faults, and to avoid not having enough money to run the van, and put food in my mouth at the same time (I'm a semi-starving musician!) I'd like to find out what sort of money I'm going to have to find to fix it.

There appears to be no other faults, in all other respects, the van runs very well and everything seems to work...

I know I'm going to have to get one myself, but at the moment, even the £40 I've seen them advertised for is a bit steep :crying:

So, if you have one of these fault code readers, and live (even reasonably) near Oxford, is there any chance I could come over and borrow it one afternoon and I'll take you out for a couple of beers to show my gratitude...?

Cheers,

Eamonlaser

bigwint
28-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Alright mate?

I'm pretty sure that someone has started a thread related to fault code readers and the area they live in. I'll try to find it and post it here.

good luck

j

bigwint
28-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Not sure if this is any good (my goeg is a bit patchy, are any of the places in this thread near oxford?)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=5319

let us know how it goes.

What type of musician are you?

j

eamonlaser
29-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi J,

Thanks for this - Maidenhead's not too far from me...

What type of musician are you?

Whatever you want, baby!! I'm like a musical prostitute ;)
I play bass guitar in a number of different covers bands, mostly in London, for weddings and parties and stuff like that, doing all the typical party favourites (60's through to 00's) and sometimes I supply the PA for this - hence the large van needed - I also play in an original band (described recently as sleaze - groove metal) called Beelzebozo (http://www.beelzebozo.co.uk).

eamonlaser
04-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Cheers for your help with this, J. Turned out to be blown brake light bulbs, although it was one of those things where the glow-plug light would come on while I was driving - by the time I could pull over to check the van and lights and stuff, the warning light would have gone out (and all the bulbs that should work, did!)

Very bizzarre, but I replaced two bulbs and it seems to be fixed now. (I purposely left it a few weeks after changing the bulbs before posting - you know how these things work!)

BigCol was a big help with this too - splendid chap!

Thanks both,

Eamonlaser