PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question please help if you can.

Brucie
30-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi there,

I Am new on here and am looking for some advice.
I have a 1996 1.9Td vento and want to know if there is a live feed that is only live when the ignition is off, as i want to fit a dummy alarm LED that automatically comes on when i take the key out.

Can anyone help ???

Cheers
.:beerchug:

Sam
31-01-2006, 11:15 AM
You could tap into a constant live like the clocks. There's no reason it can't be on all the time and it shouldn't draw too much power.

I can't think of a live that only becomes live with the ignition off.

Brucie
31-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Cheers,

I had thought of doing that, but i was just wanting to see if it was possibe to do so the LED only worked when the ignition was off.

Well cheers for the reply anyway.

Brucie.

brianf
08-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi there,

I Am new on here and am looking for some advice.
I have a 1996 1.9Td vento and want to know if there is a live feed that is only live when the ignition is off, as i want to fit a dummy alarm LED that automatically comes on when i take the key out.

Can anyone help ???

Cheers
.:beerchug:

The way to wire the LED is across the contacts of the igniton switch, so that the LED is short-circuited when the switch is ON but is lit when the switch is off. It would be sensible to put a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current passing through. The value of the resistor would be dependent on the voltage and current rating of the LED. If the LED you have is rated for 12v then it will already have such a resistor.