PDA

View Full Version : passat rear door lock problem

wmcalin
21-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi All

I've had a problem with the rear lock on my passat, basically it was locked shut and I could not open the lock using fob or manually from the inside lever....

anyway managed to unlock the door by hitting the door from the outside around the lock area and at the same time using the fob to unlock, after 10 or so attempts it opened.......... phew !!!:beerchug:

I'm going to order a new lock tomorrow and would be grateful for advice on how to replace the rear lock, the car is a 03 sport.

Any help would be bery much appreciated, thanks in advance

wmcalin..

muddy
22-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi All

I've had a problem with the rear lock on my passat, basically it was locked shut and I could not open the lock using fob or manually from the inside lever....

anyway managed to unlock the door by hitting the door from the outside around the lock area and at the same time using the fob to unlock, after 10 or so attempts it opened.......... phew !!!:beerchug:

I'm going to order a new lock tomorrow and would be grateful for advice on how to replace the rear lock, the car is a 03 sport.

Any help would be bery much appreciated, thanks in advance

wmcalin..

Might be a bit drastic ordering a new lock. Odds are that if you soak the internals of the lock mechanism with WD40 or similar it will work happily for several more years. My passenger front door lock did exactly this same thing 12 months ago and proper lubrication cured it. Good luck.

832ark
22-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I've got a similar problem, I can hear the door locking and unlocking but it just won't open form either outside or inside. Think I'm going to have to get the door panel off from the inside. Not much fun I imagine!

muddy
22-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I've got a similar problem, I can hear the door locking and unlocking but it just won't open form either outside or inside. Think I'm going to have to get the door panel off from the inside. Not much fun I imagine!

My front passenger door did this and I thought I was faced with removing the panel with the door still firmly shut ...........

I sprayed WD40 with the tiny tube inserted right inside the key aperture and left the thing alone for 24 hours.
Door then opened first time as per normal.
THEN I took the panel off and sprayed the mechanism from within the door.

No problems since.

Just a theory .... but maybe when the mechanism gets dry and stiffer, you can hear the thing operating BUT it isn't moving that vital last millimeter and clearing the catch?

Pressure washers have a tendency to blow in the tiny spring-loaded stainlees steel flap on the lock barrel and fill the lock with water.

swiggs01
22-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I've already posted an issue re rear door locks. My first failed Feb '09 and now the other side has gone. I had no luck trying to open the door from inside or outside with key fob, key or internal release on drivers door handle. I stripped the door down from inside the car. A single torx screw at the base of the trim panel, two philips screws behind the handle trim and then popping the retainers gently with the fingers between door trim and inside of door. Remove all cables and connectors re the speakers, switches, puddle lights and handle etc. Remove inner formed trim panel but be careful as the window regulater is behind it. The window can be disconnected from the window regulator by carefully tapping out the central plastic dowel in the centre of the window anchor point. I then propped it shut with a piece of timber. Once the inner trim panel is removed inclusive of regulator etc you can see the door lock and feel the door lock but I couldn't remove it. Main dealer wanted £200 to do the job total, with this stripped they charged me £130, I think the lock is about £80. Then of course I had to put it all back together. They gave me the lock that wouldn't release and I cant see how they removed it. The inner sealing strip of the metal panel has a tendancy to leak afterwards, so applying silicone sealant will resolve this problem. Sorry if this sounds long winded but the short and tall of it is although being mechanically minded and having I don't mind having a go attitude, I couldn't do the repair myself.

All The Best

swiggs01

scotty33
22-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I also have a dodgy rear doorlock, sometimes unlocks, mostly does not. beating the door in the lock area, when trying the remote does seem to work. Many of the problems are due to broken solder joints on the pcb inside the lock:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

swiggs01
22-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Scotty33. I haven't tried banging the door but I will try this, VW customer services weren't overly helpful, the dealership have offered to talk about the situation as this is the second door lock in 6-7 months. Thanks again

swiggs01

swiggs01
27-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi scotty33, just to let you know, I tried banging the door inside and outside, although I heard a grumbling sound from within the door, the lock still wont open. Looks like a job for the VW agents I'm afraid. Thanks again

Regards

swiggs01