PDA

View Full Version : 2005 A8L Front tyre scrub

s833son
21-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi, the front tyres on my A8 are scrubbing on the insides only ! I have had tracking checked and it is spot on - done 50k mile. Anyone heard of this before - my old jag did it and the front suspension bushes needed replacing - anyone heard of this on the A8 with quatro and air sus ?
Ta

Col
21-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Have you got wheels with the correct offset and tyres fitted?

Did you get it 4 wheel laser aligned?

s833son
21-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi, yes the tracking was done on a super system at micheldever near basingstoke. It has the factory fitted tyres on there (not the originals but the same make obvioulsy)
Seems really strange that it just just scrubbing the inside - I thought maybe a anti-roll bar bushes or something as you do get an occasional creak from the front suspension - but I also heard this was just the bushes getting dry in the summer
Cheers
SB

Micha_elD
21-10-2009, 10:36 PM
you do get an occasional creak from the front suspension - but I also heard this was just the bushes getting dry in the summer
Cheers
SB

Not sure about the advice you got there, if the creak stops in winter, then it sounds like you're using roadspray as a lubricant :confused: That's probably not the way Audi designed it.

Checking the tracking will make sure that the wheels are pointing in the right direction, but won't check the camber (tilt) of the wheels. If you're finding wear on one side, then the camber is probably wrong, which means that something is either adjusted wrongly, or worn. If you have a creaking noise, I'd suspect that something is worn out.

As a comparison, my last set of tyres (sport suspension) wore completely flat across the tyres. If tyres wear in the middle, its because the tyres are overinflated, if they wear at both edges, then they are underinflated, but wear on one side is usually more serious

Keebs
28-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi, just checking back and found your post. I have exactly the same problem with wear on the inner edges only and digital laser check shows everything is set up correctly.

Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

Im running original Audi 9 spoke 20" wheels on 275/35 tyres. The inner edges have scrubbed 2 sets (front only) of tures when the centre tread has 4 mm remaining.

Cheers

s833son
07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi, When I took my car into a new Audi garage (not a main dealer) I found that the tracking was way out - they had to take the front arm off and put it in a vice and heat it up to get the tracking adjustment - which shows that it had not been recently adjusted as I was told ! I called the first garage who did the tracking inititially werent interested.
Anyway - seems to have cured the major problem but now these new tyres have worn down a bit I have a bit if excess waear on the outer and innner edges on the front only which could be down to tyre pressure or whatever. Anyway tyres are pretty low so not too worried.

Micha_elD
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
If its worn at both sides, that usually indicates it been run at too low pressure, wear in centre means overinflated.

Thing to do now is bang it up to 39psi or whatever the maximum allowed is, and get it evened up ;)