PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Oil pressure light

jimmayo
21-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey guy
I am a new owner of an Audi a3 2001 1.6 and also new to this forum.
I apologise if this has been posted already I searched but couldn't find anything relevant.

I bought the car, and the oil level was far above the max level on the dipstick.
When i bought it i figured that the oil was normal for this car, as i didn't know what the max level mark was until I got it home and read the manual.
2 weeks later I noticed some oil was leaking.
I drained the oil to level just below the full mark.
On the test drive the oil pressure light came on.

The oil dipstick doesn't sit in the slot properly and seems to be too long by about 3/4 an inch, my thought was perhaps it is the wrong sized dipstick.
So if this car is supposed to have a shorter stick, the one used now will most likely have a faulty reading as it is in too far.
Does any one know the correct length of the original dipstick?

Decided the only way is to change the oil. The previous owner’s mechanic may have used a oil that is too fine perhaps, Though I really don’t understand the mechanics logic, why would he overfill the cars oil so much? It can be disastrous for the engine. So I decided I will change the oil and filter, measuring 3.5 liters and see where the oil level comes to.

Perhaps the pressure sensor is blocked? Filter blocked? Sump pan screen could also be blocked.

I topped the oil up with maybe a quart litre. the oil pressure light flicked off. I drove it for 30 mins, then I noticed a slight ticking noise from the engine which wasn't there before. Hope that wasn’t the rods. I filled the oil a little more and the noise went away. Very confused.

Has any one experienced this problem? I really hope the excess oil they have put in hasn't blown any seals or gaskets.

Thank you in advanced!

Col
21-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you have some problems there.

Did you buy it from a dealer or private?

Sounds to me (assuming it is a steel sump) that it has taken a whack, is dented and therefore not letting the dipstick seat properly.

The only sure way to be safe is to do the following;

1, Check the sump is not dented.
2, If not see if you can measure or get someone to off here their dipstick to compare.
3, Get the oil pressure checked. Either buy a pressure gauge or take it to a garage.
4, If the oil pressure is ok, then suspect the oil pressure sender.

jimmayo
22-10-2009, 12:18 AM
The sump is not dented, though there is a slight scratch.
The oil needs to be changed anyway it is not so clean, so i think ill try the oil change first.
I don't have a oil pressure guage. maybe i should buy one.
I bought the car privately :/
Hmm Don't really know any one else with an a3 1.6.
Thanks!!