PDA

View Full Version : 80 Avant - Front suspension work - problems!

Timk
28-04-2007, 03:27 PM
A couple of weeks ago I had "the top suspension mounts" replaced on my front struts, after MOT garage pointed out that one was "lose or weak" and needed replacing. I was rather hoping this might be the source of a high speed wobble/judder so went ahead and had it done.

At the same time I replaced a single shock absorber that was not previosly replaced when its opposite number was replaced last year. (Different garage "replaced leaking shock" without asking about doing both).

Since this work I have had quite a few problems!

First off, as I drove away from the garage it was apparent something was seriously wrong. A glance revealed the spring in the strut with the replaced shock was not seated right - it was completely out of the top plate!

Back to the garage, they dismantled the strut said the spring was damaged. Next day they replaced it, and insisted on charging me for the spring replacement before letting me take the car away! (Spring was fine when I arrived!).

Subsequently I also discovered the wheel bolts had been overtorqued (destroying the locking wheel nuts which had to be cut off at the local tyre place).

I dropped off the front wheels to check the work and found that neither of the ABS cables had been reclipped and the clips were actually missing on one side. (They were definitely in place before I took the car in).

Now I come to the main problem.

Since having this "work" done, I am suffering from a substantial increase in road noise, which becomes quite a drone, particularly when coasting at about 30-50mph, but is less when power is applied. It is particularly apparent on varying road surfaces.

I had a look at the top strut mounts and notice that on the side where the shock was replaced there are now about 7 threads showing above the locknut. On the other side (which seems to be quieter) there are 4 threads showing.

I modified a deep 22mm socket with flats to undo the strut nut, in combination with a key, but it is torqued too tightly to budge. What I do notice though is that the "quiet side" strut can be easily turned all the way around (As a whole) with a 22mm socket, while the "noisy side" strut cannot be turned at all (just a few degrees of rubber give, but returning to centre).

I think the following is possible:

1) something has been left out of the strut re-assembly
2) the strut nuts have been seriously overtightened
3) there is no cushioning left in the strut mount, hence the transmission of road noise and vibration

My relations with the garage are rather strained at the moment (!) and I am excedingly reticent to let then bugger about with the car any more.

I have never done work on the front struts myself (have replaced rear ones though). Seemed to be a little more hassle to deal with the front.

My choices now are perhaps

1) to get my audi dealer to take the strut apart and possibly use a report on this as part of some legal recourse against the garage.

2) give the garage another chance to rectify the problem (reluctant!).

3) take the strut apart myself and assess the problem, though that nut really is bloody tight!

If anyone has any opinions and advice on this matter, or similar situations I would love to here from you.

Equally if anyone can shed some light on what might be wrong with my strut, or what the consequences of over tightening or using an air gun might be (believe this is what they used exclusively on the strut nut) would love some advice.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cheers,

Timk

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1994 Avant 80 1.9TDI