PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Condenser fault? VAGCOM detectable?

TDi_B5
28-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I had my air con re-gassed in August last year when I first bought my '97 Passat TDi. Now we're approaching the warmer weather I've been using it to keep cool and noticed it doesn't blow ice cold. Took it back to the place that re-gassed it and they tested the system (excellent customer service, especially as it was 9 months ago - 'hall's electrical', swindon) They found the system was empty, which indicated a leak. They showed me where the leak was as they added a chemical that shows up under ultra violet light if any gas should leak. It was leaking from the front of the car where the air con condenser lives. The next step from here is to book the car in for them to strip the front end down and find the problem, it could be the condenser or maybe a pipe connected to the condenser. With a re-gas on top and a few hours labour, we were throwing figures around like £250 - £300+. Maybe less if its just a pipe or seal somewhere.

Has anyone had their condenser replaced? Seems like mucho dinero to me especially with our climate in the UK and the age of the car! I've read a few posts of a similar nature and one chap took his back to VW with the same problem and it was just a problem with a some sort of switch which was cured there and then.

Could VAGCOM tell me what the problem is with the air con? i.e. would it tell me if the condenser is knackered? I would like the air con to work, its a god send on those roasting summer days, but its a toss up between shelling out a lot of money or living with it not working!?

Does anyone have access to VAGCOM in Cumbria or Wiltshire? Opposite ends of the country I know, I'll will be returning to Wiltshire in the next few weeks, but I'm currently in Carlisle, Cumbria. :confused: Any thoughts welcome!

shooey88
28-04-2007, 04:33 PM
very common leak on the passat is on offside front corner theres 2 pipes that rub against each other. you should be able to see the pipes worn and leaking. vag-com is pretty useless and misleading for air con especially in your case. this is due to your fault being a problem with a leak. it would produce a fault with pressure sensor if gas is low...but as i said will be misleading.

partsbloke
28-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a brand new air con condensor in my garage, email me if you need a new one. Condensors are quite often replaced because of a hole due to stone damage