PDA

View Full Version : KEEP RUNING AFTER I SWITCH OFF

pav
30-01-2006, 05:29 PM
:( CAN ANY BODY HELP ME I HAVE A GOLF CONVERTABLE 1.8 CARB auto
My promble is that the car wont turn off after i have switch it on BUT THIS ONLY HAPPENS Some times .
when the car is cold it will switch off straight away, but when the car has been running for a while, some times the car wont switch off when you wont it too ,you have to put it into gear to stop it
Can anyone Help Me
Thanks

FreddyTheFrog
30-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds like the fuel cut off valve that screws into the side of the carb. You should be able to replace this yourself without too much bother.

pav
02-02-2006, 03:15 PM
cheers freddy i will try that out

brianf
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
:( CAN ANY BODY HELP ME I HAVE A GOLF CONVERTABLE 1.8 CARB auto
My promble is that the car wont turn off after i have switch it on BUT THIS ONLY HAPPENS Some times .
when the car is cold it will switch off straight away, but when the car has been running for a while, some times the car wont switch off when you wont it too ,you have to put it into gear to stop it
Can anyone Help Me
Thanks

This sometimes happens if the wrong spark plugs have been fitted and/or the the ignition timing is over advanced causing the plugs to overheat. Check that you have the correct grade of plugs and have the timing verified, preferably on electronic equipment.

pav
08-02-2006, 01:10 AM
cheer brianf im going to give the car in for timing tomarrow and hopefuly that whats it is thanks for the adavce

brianf
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
cheer brianf im going to give the car in for timing tomarrow and hopefuly that whats it is thanks for the adavce

That's a good starting point although I doubt that timing alone is the answer. Over-advanced ignition is generally only a contributory factor to over-heating of the cylinders. Something in there has to be hot enough to ignite the fuel vapour in the absence of electrical ignition. More often than not, it will be something like the wrong grade of spark plug that runs too hot or carbon deposits that have accumulated and continue to glow after the ignition switch has been turned off. Worn spark plugs will also cause it if the electrodes are so thin that they glow red hot.
In any case, if the engine tester knows his/her stuff he/she will check those items.
Do let us know the outcome.