PDA

View Full Version : pulling to the left

fender
19-10-2009, 07:40 PM
hi guys. i have a 2001 model passat and for sometime now it slightly pulls to the left. This has left me puzzled as the wheel alignment is perfectly straight and all wheels are correctly balanced.:confused:. plz help.

Thanx

Norman vwp
19-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Have you looked at your brake calipers to make sure they not binding

Pit Dweller
19-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Swap the front tyres left to right.

fender
20-10-2009, 07:42 PM
thanx for the reply guys. Both front and rear calipers are moving freely, ( had that checked ) and tried swapping wheels, no difference at all.

Pit Dweller
20-10-2009, 10:17 PM
OK - Next thing to try is find a very quiet road and drive down the otherside of it. See if it pulls slightly to the left then. If it pulls slightly to the right its just following the camber of the road. HTH

fender
21-10-2009, 05:30 PM
still pulls to the left even know your driving on the otherside

martin1810
21-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I would jack it up and feel for any free play in the steering by gripping the wheel at 3/9 o'clock and wiggling.

Panzerdriver
21-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Had this particular problem with several cars

I had the tracking checked, changed bushes and basically found nothing wrong, four wheel alignment the whole shooting match.

Anyway i changed the tyres to another brand and voila! problem gone, no longer pulling to the left.

So now what caused the problem and the only thing i could put it down to was the tread pattern on the tyres i had fitted at the time. ( predominately Avon)

I also had Wanlin tyres fitted to my Passat which also caused the same problem so i think therein lies the cause.

fender
22-10-2009, 07:34 PM
100% sure there is no free play on any of the suspension arms or bushes on either side. The tyres however have recently been changed. The old tyres were pirellis and the new ones are PRIMA ( cheap make ). The car was still pulling to the left with the old tyres as it does with the new ones. I read in a previous thread about steering adjustment. Is this different from wheel alignment ?

passat20Vturbo
24-11-2009, 02:43 PM
hi guys. i have a 2001 model passat and for sometime now it slightly pulls to the left. This has left me puzzled as the wheel alignment is perfectly straight and all wheels are correctly balanced.:confused:. plz help.

Thanx

The setting is +2,2 for the passat,

it may be worth tryin 0,0 (parrallel) setting may help.

Have had to do this some times to other vehicles, as i work in a tyre garage,, hope it works! :Blush:

passat 130 tdi
24-11-2009, 03:15 PM
swapping the 2 fronts is bad advice , alot of tyres are directional , you should swap rears with fronts and keep the direction of travel - try adding 2psi to left tyre see what its like , either better or worse , if worse drop it by 4 psi.

try taking a passeger in car with you of 15 to 17 stone in weight ,see what this does also.

fender
25-11-2009, 08:07 PM
thanx for the reply guys. Tried swapping tyres back to front, still the same. Even worse with a passenger in the front. Dont know about having the alignment adjusted to (0,0) but its worth a try. Also no difference when inflating/deflating tyre.

passat 130 tdi
25-11-2009, 10:33 PM
possibly tired rubber in the bushes then?