PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge not registering

A4Sline
27-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi folks,

Just picked up my 04 A4 1.8T S Line today and I'm really impressed :D The only problem is that the temperature gauge does not register anything - just stays at 50 degrees. Is likely to be a faulty gause or a dodgy thermostat - or something else completely?

If it is the thermostat, I would have thought that the temperatire would go up a bit in traffic - but it doesn't move from 50 regardless of whether I'm stuck in traffic or moving - which makes me think it's the gauge.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Pete

A4Sline
29-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Again,

I'm new to this forum - so maybe I've made a mistake here 'cos no-one's replied in 2 days which seems odd!

Have I posted this in the wrong section or is this a relatively new site with few members from the Audi community - or am I the only one to have ever experienced this problem?

It just seems strange to me to have got zero feedback; I'm a member of a similarly designed motorcycle forum where, if I'd posted a similar question, I would have got a whole bunch of replies and suggestions from members.

Thanks

Pete

jak
29-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi A4Sline
Sorry no replies,not normal & not a good welcome to forum.
It could be the temp sensor or the dash itself . Hopefully you've got warranty if it's the dash. Fairly common problems.
Good luck
John

Coupe16v
29-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi A4Sline,
I have just bought a Coupe 16v and have a similar problem. When I test drove the car the gauge was working, then when I picked it up, it wasn't. I think mine must be on it's way out, but wish I knew exactly what the problem is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Col.

A4Sline
30-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Ah - there are people out there then! Thanks for the replies.

I noticed yesterday that it did start working and stayed perfectly in the middle of the dial for 10 mins - then dropped straight back down to 50 again. At last I know the temperature is OK - and it's just the gauge (or sender?) that's faulty.

I've spoken to the leasing company that I bought it off of and they're going to see what they can do for me. I'll post the outcome on here later.

Cheers

Pete

bertieauld
01-05-2007, 03:21 PM
hopefully the following thread will help. it is a common problem.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5572&goto=newpost (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5572&goto=newpost)

cheers

MCCLATCHIE
02-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi ALL (Audi A4 2001 51 PLATE 1.8T) I have a problem a bit differant than yours.
When I start up my fans come on until my engine warms up. I will not take it to AUDI at £100 an hour. When I RANG them I was told that it may be the control unit that is in place, they say that the A3 have this fault.
I will change the cheap parts first then if it is the control unit go to a breakers Audi want about £120.
The cars running I get it sorted.:beerchug:

dub love
24-05-2007, 03:35 PM
yeah i got a 51 plate a4. when i first got it the temp gauge worked fine or seeemed 2. it was always at 90 and not 1 bit over. but now im lucky 2 get any movement it seems 2 just stay on 50. every now and again it will pop up 2 90 but if i turn the engine off and start it bak up it will probly be on 50 again. i reckon its a comman fault. im much happier now i kno that every1s does it

MCCLATCHIE
24-05-2007, 04:01 PM
yeah i got a 51 plate a4. when i first got it the temp gauge worked fine or seeemed 2. it was always at 90 and not 1 bit over. but now im lucky 2 get any movement it seems 2 just stay on 50. every now and again it will pop up 2 90 but if i turn the engine off and start it bak up it will probly be on 50 again. i reckon its a comman fault. im much happier now i kno that every1s does it

Yes I got details off this forum were the wires and the probs are if you call them that I don`t no which one does what. One is by the dip stick and one is under the rad on the left if your looking at car. The one under the rad if you pull the clip up and pull it out you will get a face full of antifreeze not nice ,the one by the dip stick will pull out but I think you need to drain your rad and remove the whole pipe junction.
My problem I think is now the fan control unit at £113 + vat from only Audi. TRYING TO GET A SECOND HAND UNIT ;) DIY IT my self.
I sorted my locks out with second hand parts at about £100 AUDI
STARTED AT AROUND £600 just for the conveniace unit which controls the doors/alarm etc. I advise you to check your pollen filter lid mine had a split
at the back which was letting in water over time which damaged the control unit "which is under the carpet". New lid from AUDI about wait for it
YES only about £3.00.