PDA

View Full Version : Oil

prolfe
27-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already.

My new car told me that it needed some more oil, as Audi supplied some in a little leather pouch, I obliged.

Needing another 1 litre bottle to fill the pouch again I checked the manual to see which type was needed.

"use VW 507 00, ONLY in exceptional circumstances can VW 505 00 or VW 506 00 be used, and even then only 0.5 Litres"

Odd but, okay, so the next time I was filling up with diesel I had a look to get some 507. None there, they did have some 505, but I thought I'd better stick to what they recommend.

Five fourcourts later, still none. So off to Halford's and 30 minutes later and a bottle of £14 a litre Castrol I was on my way.

£14 !!!!!!

every 7000 miles £14 !!!!

This special VW 507 00 is the only thing I can use. After being a company car list diesel driver I thought oil was oil. Now I'm in a car allowance'd A3 2.0 TDi 170, £14 a litre seems frightening every 7000 miles.

So, anyone else out there, be warned. There's only one type of oil for this model of engine, and it's the most expensive. I suppose I could always buy the more cost effective 5 Litre bottles, but I'd have to upgrade the little leather pouch. :(

Eshrules
27-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already.

My new car told me that it needed some more oil, as Audi supplied some in a little leather pouch, I obliged.

Needing another 1 litre bottle to fill the pouch again I checked the manual to see which type was needed.

"use VW 507 00, ONLY in exceptional circumstances can VW 505 00 or VW 506 00 be used, and even then only 0.5 Litres"

Odd but, okay, so the next time I was filling up with diesel I had a look to get some 507. None there, they did have some 505, but I thought I'd better stick to what they recommend.

Five fourcourts later, still none. So off to Halford's and 30 minutes later and a bottle of £14 a litre Castrol I was on my way.

£14 !!!!!!

every 7000 miles £14 !!!!

This special VW 507 00 is the only thing I can use. After being a company car list diesel driver I thought oil was oil. Now I'm in a car allowance'd A3 2.0 TDi 170, £14 a litre seems frightening every 7000 miles.

So, anyone else out there, be warned. There's only one type of oil for this model of engine, and it's the most expensive. I suppose I could always buy the more cost effective 5 Litre bottles, but I'd have to upgrade the little leather pouch. :(

LOL £14 isnt really that bad, i pay around the same for my 505.01 PD oil for my 00 W golf gt tdi. oil change every 6k costs me around £60/70 including oil and filter....

when you think of what the oil is responsible for and just how important it is to the whole car, i dont think £14 every 7k is all that bad :o

prolfe
28-04-2007, 07:28 AM
:)

I know, I was just having a bitch about it, and letting others know.

Luckily I went for the servicing option with Audi as well. For £28 / month I get servicing for free including all fluids. I now see that it was a wise choice, when i ordered it, i thought it was a good deal, and now knowing the cost of this 507 stuff, it's a very good deal.

They had to make a new oil to this new standard because of the engine's DPF (Diesel Particle Filter).

I noticed that the oil in the engine was very dark, this I found out later is inherent with diesels.

Well it's now 7.28 and almost time to nip outside and give it it's weekend wash.

all smiles

Check out the gallery on the 20th March to see it shining away, and feel free to add comments or rate it.

Ta

John Griffiths
29-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I bought a VW Tauran 2.0 TDI 140 new in 2005, it used the Castrol Longlife 2, like you it drunk oil for the first 20'00 miles but seemed to settle down a bit after the first service, its now done 45'000 miles and I have gone through 5 litres. I went to halfords to buy some more last month to be told that they have changed it to Castrol Edge, the bottle is marked as a replacement for longlife 2! They have made it slightly thicker now as apparently the old stuff was a bit thin and VAG/Castrol have decided to change it. I dont know if the same oil is used in your car but I assume it is. Hope this helps?