PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones... - What shall I go for ??

RickT
19-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Over recent years I was "clued" up on mobile phones, but for the last 12 months i lost intrest and everything has changed!

Im looking to get a new contract on Vodafone, (600 mins) and want a decent touch screen phone..

So far I have found the Sony Satio which looks ok,

Can any one recommend any handsets I should be looking at?

Cheers

Rick

Paul_mkV_golf
19-10-2009, 09:10 AM
just got myself a Nokia N97- touch screen, 32gb memory, fold out qwerty keyboard. Only had it couple of days but so far so good. Think vodafone do it for £35 a month. Currently filling up the huge memory with loads of music- one other good feature is a built in FM transmitter so you can start you music player app and the tune your car radio in- handy is you can't plug an mp3 player into radio.

Great bit of kit, still working things out on it.

Paul

RickT
19-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the reply,

So far i have short listed it to the Sony Satio, Samsung Jet or Samsung Omnia 2..

Any thouhts on these??

Rick

Hex69
19-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply,

So far i have short listed it to the Sony Satio, Samsung Jet or Samsung Omnia 2..

Any thouhts on these??

Rick

Not on those, however I've just got a Nokia 5800, 300 mins for £15 on 3, great phone, loads of apps, full Exchange support, and a great music player.

RickT
19-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Just seen a Samsung S8300 Tocco Ultra Black, -- could be an option,

I need to go on Vodafone due to signal issue at my house, (been on 3 for the last 5 years, untill they disconnected me in error!!- thats another story.)

davemk
19-10-2009, 11:36 AM
nokia N97 or the new PALM PRE! its like the IPHONE but with a better operating system (custom design) and has greater functionality. It also has a full qwerty keyboard which slides out. Its still small enough and very lightweight. Basically its the dogs dangleys

pon
19-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I think the Palm Pre is exclusive to O2.
I have a Nokia 5800 on T Mobile. Does everything I need & more.

rs4turbo
19-10-2009, 12:22 PM
why not go for 02 contract which is cheaper and get the new I Phone

its sick.

Hex69
19-10-2009, 12:37 PM
its sick.

:puke: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

RickT
19-10-2009, 01:52 PM

its sick.

I have seen this, looks good..

but i have to go on Vodafone, its the only provider which gives me 100% coverage in the house, all the others only work on the driveway!

So far I have found the Sony Satio which looks ok and i feel it could be the phone for me, however, with such a selection to chose from, i could do with some advice to ensure i dont overlook any phones..

My shortlist is as follows.....

Samsung Jet
Samsung S8300 Tocco Ultra Black
Sony Ericsson Satio Silver
Samsung S5230 Tocco Lite
Samsung Genio Touch
LG KP500 Cookie
Some of the HTC phones look ok.....

Any advice is most welcomed!

Cheers

Rick

ali_a4_avant
19-10-2009, 03:44 PM
To contracdict Pon and Hex, I would seriously steer clear from the Nokia 5800. Had problems right from the start but fortunately only took out a 12 month contract so not long to go.

Had a go of a friends Jet which is a great phone. I will be going back to Samsung after 4 Nokias, unless they can bring something out better than the N97.

2 out of the 3 people I know with Iphones, have dropped and smashed the screen.... £130 to repair, ouch!

If you can wait until Dec/Jan, Iphones will be available on both Orange and Vodafone, so you should be able to get cheaper when O2 have some competition.

mpm1987
19-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I have HTC Hero, Immense bit of kit! still finding out awesome new bits on it a couple of months in.
Im on Vodafone, got the deal through Carphone Warehouse

JSH
19-10-2009, 07:12 PM

its sick.

I have a Iphone granted its not the latest model, I wouldnt advise anyone to get one the reception is terrible and the battery life is useless, as a working phone its hopeless. It was so bad I replaced it with a Blackberry which is great, eventhough the Iphone was only six months old!
John

Issac Hunt
19-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm hanging on until the Iphone is available with Vodafone, that should increase the quality of deals available from the current O2 batch.

i13z
22-10-2009, 08:13 PM
BLACKBERRY!! apparently theres two new ones coming out... the atom and the storm 2!

Hex69
22-10-2009, 09:23 PM
To contracdict Pon and Hex, I would seriously steer clear from the Nokia 5800. Had problems right from the start but fortunately only took out a 12 month contract so not long to go.

Had a go of a friends Jet which is a great phone. I will be going back to Samsung after 4 Nokias, unless they can bring something out better than the N97.

2 out of the 3 people I know with Iphones, have dropped and smashed the screen.... £130 to repair, ouch!

If you can wait until Dec/Jan, Iphones will be available on both Orange and Vodafone, so you should be able to get cheaper when O2 have some competition.

It's not so bad, the 5800, have just written this post quickly on it. It's got wifi which it very useful for t'internet
:approve:

paul b
26-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't own Samsungs, but my 2 teenage kids have had (key word) Samsungs.

They've both broken before the contract is up, and I have to admit the kids didn't break them. They were with a Virgin Mobile contract who only offer 12 month warranty on handsets, would you believe it both phones broke after 12 months but before the 18 months as in the contract!

One of the Samsungs just went dead, won't turn on, no noise, absolutely nothing. The other had the LCD screen fail, it wasn't smashed by the kids, my lad just picked it up off the table where it had been for a couple of hours and the liquid crystals had ran everywhere under the screen. Now he is back on his old Motorola V3 which is 4 years old now, no problems at all.

My son is in fact considering the 5800 on Vodafone for when the contract with Virgin runs out.

crazy88
26-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't get the Samsung Jet. My friend had one and it was so slow it wasn't even funny. Being called the jet you assume it'll be fast, but that's not true.

I'd recommend the HTC Hero/ Magic, or a Blackberry Curve. But that's just me. Oh...as someone mentioned, wait until the iPhone comes to Voda too.

elvismiggell
26-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I believe a recall has been issued on the Satio, I'm sure I saw something on Google news the other day.

Don't get a Sony X1 Experia. I've got one it's naff.

I wouldn't go with anyone that doesn't offer a warranty to cover the length of the contract. To be honest I'm surprised anyone does, it's asking for trouble. It was the first thing I checked with O2 when they insisted I go for an 18 month contract.

eob
26-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm picking up a Samsung S5230 Tocco Lite tonight.
Carphone Warehouse are doing it for £80 on a Vodafone PAYG sim although the phone itself is sim unlocked.
The LG Cookie is a similarly specced phone for around £50 but apparently some people have been having software issues (which may be why they are punting them cheap).

I would like a smart phone with WiFi and 3G but I can't justify the £100 jump (to the Samsung Jet for example) as £10 top up lasts me two months!

For me, the most important feature in a phone is the camera, you never know when the kids are going to do something worth capturing.