PDA

View Full Version : Over revving on start up

Izalman
27-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi guys,

enjoy reading all the threads everyone posts, great dinner time reading..

My 2001 130PD sport always started brilliantly, just turn the Key, no gas Brmmm away he went not reving higher than 1000rpm max then immediatley idled at 750 / 800 even on the pits of our globally warmed winter.

Just recently he ( this car is a bloke..) starts immediatly - no gas pedal but revs up tp 1800/2000 rpm for a split second and then drops to the normal idle.

This only happens on the 1st start of the day, all other starts are perfect.

I've always avoided reving an engine on start, as an engineer I've seen too much damage through lack of oil at the wrong time..

Anyone any ideas before I take him to see Doctor Autocentre.

Mike

robdriver1
26-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,

enjoy reading all the threads everyone posts, great dinner time reading..

My 2001 130PD sport always started brilliantly, just turn the Key, no gas Brmmm away he went not reving higher than 1000rpm max then immediatley idled at 750 / 800 even on the pits of our globally warmed winter.

Just recently he ( this car is a bloke..) starts immediatly - no gas pedal but revs up tp 1800/2000 rpm for a split second and then drops to the normal idle.

This only happens on the 1st start of the day, all other starts are perfect.

I've always avoided reving an engine on start, as an engineer I've seen too much damage through lack of oil at the wrong time..

Anyone any ideas before I take him to see Doctor Autocentre.

Mike

Hi im Rob
i used to be a volkswagen mechnic for two years
we found that with over reving tdi s
one or two problems there some small vacuim pipes that work air values on the back of the engline that wear through check them.
also temperature sensor but thats mainly on petrol cars
we found also found that cars refill with to much oil will over rev