PDA

View Full Version : New car query

Kmacker
18-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Decided eventually to trade in my old trusty B6 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Quattro and picked up my A4 Avant S-line 09 plate (6k mile) on Thursday. Very pleased with it :-) Has MMI, AMI, B&O, phone etc in Ice Silver:D. Exactly the spec I was looking for. (Bar the quattro, but needs must;)). First day swapped the 'standard' 5-spoke wheels for RS4 7 twin-spoke. Anyway, after going over a speed bump today, heard a strange knocking from the rear RHS??? Popped in to a nearby tyre garage and after jacking up said corner found a loose piece of yellow plastic. Two inches long, approx 1.5 diameter with a lip, and a slot running it's length. Looks like some type of fitting used to transport??? Can someone verify what the audi transport brackets consist of? It would be bad enough for a fitting to be missed during initial check, but to be left in for 6k and again missed before selling the car...:confused:
Removed said item and now awaiting a call from the audi dealer I bought it from tomorrow. Would this cause any further problems, I should have checked or items replaced etc etc. Thanks in advance
PS Already looking at getting reversing sensors fitted. Basic sytem with audible beeps would be £150. Are there other options that would be incorporatated into the MMI system? Opinions appreciated.:beerchug:

B19RAK
18-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Decided eventually to trade in my old trusty B6 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Quattro and picked up my A4 Avant S-line 09 plate (6k mile) on Thursday. Very pleased with it :-) Has MMI, AMI, B&O, phone etc in Ice Silver:D. Exactly the spec I was looking for. (Bar the quattro, but needs must;)). First day swapped the 'standard' 5-spoke wheels for RS4 7 twin-spoke. Anyway, after going over a speed bump today, heard a strange knocking from the rear RHS??? Popped in to a nearby tyre garage and after jacking up said corner found a loose piece of yellow plastic. Two inches long, approx 1.5 diameter with a lip, and a slot running it's length. Looks like some type of fitting used to transport??? Can someone verify what the audi transport brackets consist of? It would be bad enough for a fitting to be missed during initial check, but to be left in for 6k and again missed before selling the car...:confused:
Removed said item and now awaiting a call from the audi dealer I bought it from tomorrow. Would this cause any further problems, I should have checked or items replaced etc etc. Thanks in advance
PS Already looking at getting reversing sensors fitted. Basic sytem with audible beeps would be £150. Are there other options that would be incorporatated into the MMI system? Opinions appreciated.:beerchug:

Is that £150 fitted?

Kmacker
19-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately no, but the Audi dealer phoned me today admitting it was a transport block that should have been removed after import and he will investigate how it missed the initial PDI check, as well as the pre-used check. So... may use this to leverage a 'free fit' of the £150 system ;)
Is the camera system available as an add-on to the MMI?

drmartin
21-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Have a look here.. http://www.kufatec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c284_A4---B8-8K.html

Kmacker
21-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Cheers for that. Nice but a bit pricey...:confused:

Will see how the 'free-fit' negotiations go...

On another note, a colleague at work noticed the rear rhs looked as if it was sitting lower...? (The one the block had been left on?) Found it to be sitting approx. 1cm lower than the lhs??? Now going back in for a full suspension / alignment check on Friday :aargh4:

Whit a nightmare...

Kmacker
25-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Update. Car checked out and all well (surprise...). Actually, car is sitting the same on both sides now, so give it the benefit of the doubt.
On the plus side, the Service gave me a full set of Audi A4 Rubber mats gratis... and has agreed to waiver the labour costs to the reverse parking sensors install (approx. 2 hrs labour)
So all is well

ScottyUK
25-10-2009, 04:41 PM
So the previous owner did 6k miles like that?

It might be worth a call to them to see why the sold. It'd be outrageous if it was because of the ride! :(

Bratty
25-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Did you take any photos of the transportation block? Just so that other forum members know what to look for when checking over their cars.
Must say you seem to have been very tolerant with the dealership responsible! When you think of the potential consequences of what could happen if the device interfered with your suspension whilst emergency braking etc., sorry but rubber mats and labour costs (which the dealership can offset) would not have cut it for me! But then again I think that I have established myself as somewhat unreasonable and bitter when having to deal with Audi dealerships (in fact just unreasonable and bitter all the time ;)).

Dunk

onemanparty
25-10-2009, 06:50 PM
So the previous owner did 6k miles like that?

It might be worth a call to them to see why the sold. It'd be outrageous if it was because of the ride! :(

Ex-Demo me thinks!!!

Kmacker
27-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Correct. Previous owner was VW Audi. (Apparently an Audi Manager's car...) Will post a pic of block (and some of the car, of course!). Would have been even more concerned if it was a front wheel with the drive shafts etc. Apparently the block limits the suspension travel when they 'harness' the cars down during transport. It didn't affect the actual spring, which sits behind the shock, and is more likely to influence the way the car naturally sits. Anyway, have checked the distance between the tyre/wheel arch on both sides and the difference is now negligable.
Car booked in to get the reverse parking sensors fitted on Friday.
(Just have to check that they don't leave any protective caps on them...:D)