PDA

View Full Version : 1sr gear

davegilsenan
27-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Hello,
I have a 53 A6 1.9tdi manual. About 50% of the time its very difficult to engage 1st gear from neutral- sometimes theres a noise like 2 objects bumping off each other instead of engaging-coming off the clutch pedal and back on a few times sometimes solves it but sometimes you really have to force it in. I've checked all the gearbox mounts and they are good and there is no clutch slip. Any ideas? Can a clutch be worn out but not slip? Or is the clutch not disengaging correctly?
Thanks,
Dave.

Niall76
27-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I have no idea what the problem is but try this.

Instead of forcing it into first stick it into 2nd and then into first, it should go in with no probs.

lonky
14-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Hello,
I have a 53 A6 1.9tdi manual. About 50% of the time its very difficult to engage 1st gear from neutral- sometimes theres a noise like 2 objects bumping off each other instead of engaging-coming off the clutch pedal and back on a few times sometimes solves it but sometimes you really have to force it in. I've checked all the gearbox mounts and they are good and there is no clutch slip. Any ideas? Can a clutch be worn out but not slip? Or is the clutch not disengaging correctly?
Thanks,
Dave.

Sounds like clutch drag. You are not preventing the engine from loading the box and spinning the gears. Metallic noise would be gears crunching as you force it in.
Does the clutch engage right at the bottom ? or are you not pushing it all the way down.
It may need adjustment

Peter D
12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
If you find your self in the fault mode just turn the engine off, if it then goes in no bother you have a clutch drag problem. Regards Peter