PDA

View Full Version : CV boots done - problems found

vwmark
27-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Just done the CV boots on my 2002 130PD estate. Read a number of links first and here's my thoughts:

Both hub pinch bolts were siezed solid but the technique of cutting the head off and then using an impact gun to draw the bolt shaft out did work on one side - on the other the nuts stripped the thread which meant cutting it off and drilling the bolts out - took 2 hours of messing about. Make sure you get new bolts first and you need a 16mm impact socket. Prior to removing I had been socking in WD40 for 2 weeks!

Removing cv joint - don't put a piece of bar down the joint and tighten the old hub bolt to draw the joint off - the drive shafts are hollow so you just force the bar into the drive shaft - in my case I can't get it out. That will be playing on my mind forever - also if you just use the bolt as per the Haynes manual, as the shaft is hollow the bolt will try to be forced into the slightly smaller hole and become mashed - making it difficult to remove. I removed by hitting the inner part of the joint with a brass drift.

Sam
30-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Good tips, thanks for posting.

I fully agree and empathise with the first problem. Been there, done that, had the sore arms to prove it ;)