PDA

View Full Version : Air Mass Meter

Joey74
27-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi from OZ!

Have been browsing the internet looking for solutions for my VW Beetle 2000 2.0L and came across your forum which was the most informative! Hope I can explain the problem clearly as I'm feeling very frustrated with mechanics at the moment who tend to treat me as if I am a child with little understanding.

I first noticed a louder than normal ticking sound which sounded like tappet problems coming from my engine. Inspected the oil level and found that it was low - car had only been serviced a month earlier. Topped up oil but noise remained. Besides loud tapping when engine was warm the car was running rough when idling (shaking effect). Took it to be checked and was told the problem was a faulty air mass meter and that it would need to be replaced ASAP. When I drove the car away from the dealership I noticed that it now had acceleration problems. Car would hesitate then jump forward before speeding up - it would then lose power too and repeat effect. Took it immediately back to the dealership who informed me that since the car's computer had been reset it now recognised the problem and was running according to the problem. A mechanic disconnected the air mass meter and told me that that would solve the acceleration problem until I could have the problem fixed. The car is running worse then before. Barely got it home - felt as though it would lose power at any moment. Scared to drive it now!

Is this a side effect of a faulty air mass meter or have the mechanics failed to reconnect something? The Exhaust Emissions warning lamp has come on now too. As most service centers are closed on weekend I wont be able to have the problem addressed until Monday - would like really like some advice as to how to address this problem. Looking around $800 - 1000 (Australian dollars) to fix AMM. How much damage will be done driving it to the dealership? Is this acceleration problem associated with a faulty air mass meter or not? Is this a common problem with Beetles too?

Cheers

Jo

secondaaaa
25-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi,
The dealership should have performed a scan on your car with a code reader to check for fault codes. This is an easy one to confirm if the (maf)
Hi from OZ! mass air flow meter is faulty. To disconnect it and say it would help is a load of crock.
You need the car to have a diagnostic code reading.
Some of the obvious symptons of a faulty (maf) is rough idle, runs better in the morning for a few mins until the engine warms up and a bad smell sometimes (over fuelling).
The (maf) sets the fuel/air mixture and mostly is the fault from your discription.
Get a scan from a local garage.

Have been browsing the internet looking for solutions for my VW Beetle 2000 2.0L and came across your forum which was the most informative! Hope I can explain the problem clearly as I'm feeling very frustrated with mechanics at the moment who tend to treat me as if I am a child with little understanding.

I first noticed a louder than normal ticking sound which sounded like tappet problems coming from my engine. Inspected the oil level and found that it was low - car had only been serviced a month earlier. Topped up oil but noise remained. Besides loud tapping when engine was warm the car was running rough when idling (shaking effect). Took it to be checked and was told the problem was a faulty air mass meter and that it would need to be replaced ASAP. When I drove the car away from the dealership I noticed that it now had acceleration problems. Car would hesitate then jump forward before speeding up - it would then lose power too and repeat effect. Took it immediately back to the dealership who informed me that since the car's computer had been reset it now recognised the problem and was running according to the problem. A mechanic disconnected the air mass meter and told me that that would solve the acceleration problem until I could have the problem fixed. The car is running worse then before. Barely got it home - felt as though it would lose power at any moment. Scared to drive it now!

Is this a side effect of a faulty air mass meter or have the mechanics failed to reconnect something? The Exhaust Emissions warning lamp has come on now too. As most service centers are closed on weekend I wont be able to have the problem addressed until Monday - would like really like some advice as to how to address this problem. Looking around $800 - 1000 (Australian dollars) to fix AMM. How much damage will be done driving it to the dealership? Is this acceleration problem associated with a faulty air mass meter or not? Is this a common problem with Beetles too?

Cheers

Jo

Jam Man
28-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Great advice, not sure how much use it will be 3 and a half years on though!

burkey1
31-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Great advice, not sure how much use it will be 3 and a half years on though!

ha ha....