PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I, that is the question?

Ray of Cannock
16-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi guys. I currently own a Audi A4 SE TDi 2Lt. Auto. 4 yo, almost 43000miles.
First thing to say is that I am very happy with this car, bought it from new and it hasn't really cost me anything. Having said that I did have a few things/problems replaced or sorted under warranty which surprised me. I bought it because I thought Audi's were bomb proof? Anyway, as its four years old now I am beginning to think about replacing it with another new car. The new A4 SE is too expensive. I'm retired now so I have to think about the costs more than I used to. I wouldn't want a small car and I do need a large boot but not an Estate.

I took a look at the Skoda Superb last week. It actually look rather good. Far more nice bits than the A4 and a few grand cheaper I can get a top of the range Superb for less than an SE level Audi but.................

Many, many years ago we owned a couple of Skoda's which were used to get my wife to and from work. There were cheap in every way. Working on them was a nightmare and I even had a local garage refuse to work on one because he said they were more trouble than they are worth. I know they have moved on some but have they really? I really don't want to buy a poor quality car. The Audi is very well built. No rattles or bits coming loose and it feels as good as when I first bought it. I do have my cars serviced to the book and by the main dealer.

What I want to know is are Skoda's a good buy? I don't want a good cheap car, I want a good car cheapy. Will a Superb last me four-five years without trouble? Are the fun bits well made? It's no good having AirCon if it stops working after a few weeks and I don't want door handles dropping off.

And, are the dealers any good? I couldn't put up with disinterested dealers.
My local Audi dealer has been great, not cheap, but good in every other respect.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Ray

kenney
16-10-2009, 06:10 PM
There is no comparison,between the previous,Skoda and todays Skoda.They have their faults,even now,but nothing compared to VW or Audi,and i don't know why,and i don't like saying it either

Ray of Cannock
17-10-2009, 10:54 AM
There is no comparison,between the previous,Skoda and todays Skoda.They have their faults,even now,but nothing compared to VW or Audi,and i don't know why,and i don't like saying it either

Thanks for that, interesting.

Ray

kodkod.84
18-10-2009, 10:00 PM
The amount of Skoda's being used as private hire taxi's should give you an indication of how reliable these motors have become now.

macmillions
18-10-2009, 10:25 PM
A taxi firm I use regularly has a W reg Octavia Estate with 250k on the clock. And is still sounding as sweet as a nut. There are no creaks, rattles or anything, and from what I can tell, its not exactly driven kindly, it is worked. I think its a 110bhp diesel. And still feels like its got every one of those horses still under the bonnet!

I wouldn't hesitate in getting one on that evidence alone.

Ray of Cannock
19-10-2009, 10:24 AM
A taxi firm I use regularly has a W reg Octavia Estate with 250k on the clock. And is still sounding as sweet as a nut. There are no creaks, rattles or anything, and from what I can tell, its not exactly driven kindly, it is worked. I think its a 110bhp diesel. And still feels like its got every one of those horses still under the bonnet!

I wouldn't hesitate in getting one on that evidence alone.

That sounds great. TBH there are hundreds of Skoda Taxi's around where I live it's the bit about at least the one you know not falling apart. I won't live long enough to get to 250k.

Thanks
Ray

RDH
22-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I have been running a Superb II 170cr Elegance for 12 months. I have had zero problems and it is far better built than my previous car (E-class 220cdi) In the UK the Superb is a real bargin, look at the prices in Germany!

Ray of Cannock
22-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been running a Superb II 170cr Elegance for 12 months. I have had zero problems and it is far better built than my previous car (E-class 220cdi) In the UK the Superb is a real bargin, look at the prices in Germany!

Thats just what I wanted to hear and it's the right car too.
Can you tell me if your dealer has been OK?
I have had bad dealers in the past, Citroen, Rover and Vauxhall but both Audi & BMW have been great.

Ray

RDH
23-10-2009, 05:08 PM
My dealer has been excellent. Skoda came second after Lexus in the JD Power survey for dealer satisfaction.

DSG4ME
27-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Dealers are a lottery tbh, but as for the car, you won't regret it, and if you have snob mates, just offer to carry their clubs to the course as well on a sunday :biglaugh: