PDA

View Full Version : Ipod adaptor

L33 APB
26-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Currently use an itrip in my car but reception not always very good. Has anyone got the new Audi Ipod adaptor. Is it any good, Is it easy to fit and could I get cable to armrest rather than glove box.

Cheers

lee

Celtic Cousin
29-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Fitted mine last weekend. Obviously better than an FM transmitter. I too decided not to fit iPod in Glovebox and ran wire back to the cubby hole behind handbrake. Although I don't have an armrest (still working on my wife for that) there is plenty of wire for locating in your sensible position.

Bought mine from www.Audi-accessories.co.uk (http://www.Audi-accessories.co.uk)

L33 APB
29-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Cheers for that as was informed by another company that the cable would not reach my arm rest. Will check out the link
Thanks again
Lee

madfella65
06-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Lee - i also fitted this cable and will check and post the length of the wire but im sure there is plenty of wire to reach the arm rest! Excellent mod too i must add!!!

L33 APB
08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Cheers for that when you get a chance can you confirm if the lead is long enough and where did you get your adaptor from
Cheers
Lee

Celtic Cousin
09-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Mine was genuine Audi from the site already listed

vagjunkie
24-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi just wondering how much control you have of the ipod. Can you search through albums, artists, or is just track titles. I have an 04 a4 with the audi concert if this makes any difference?

sbuk73
20-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Just joined, thought I'd add my 2cents here. When I became an iPOD owner I wanted a way to connect up my iPOD and still have 100% control of it. I have one of the following kits installed in my A4.
http://www.incaripod.com/products/custom/audi/a4.htm

I do know someone who has a new A3 with the official Audi kit, the IPOD sits in the glovebox, but they guy says you have to limit yourself to certain playlist types and do not get to see what you're playing. I like the way my iPOD its, gives me full control and works perfect with the BOSE system.

mr.brown
20-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi just wondering how much control you have of the ipod. Can you search through albums, artists, or is just track titles. I have an 04 a4 with the audi concert if this makes any difference?

It mimics the 6 CD changer so you have 5 playlists acting as CDs 1-5, CD6 is all tracks. There is no title display only track numbers.

timmee62
28-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I have the factory fitted Audi iPod, which goes in place of the 6 CD autochanger in glovebox - hence the way the interface works - and I have one comment to add. It does tend to mark your iPod slightly where you slide it in to the slot. The A4 manual has a warning note in the iPod section about it.

Just something to be aware of - it sounds great with the BOSE, though :D

tony_anon
17-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this for the car. At the moment I've got a single CD concert 2 (53 Reg).

Does the original Audi Ipod adapter have the 4 rings logo on the head unit upon startup?

Why can't you use the cd head unit as normal AND use the Ipod? You're only using the cdchanger slot.

Do you need to remove the glove box? I've had a look at mine and its got a couple of holes where I could feed the cable through without removing.

How much would the ******* charge for fully fitted?

What do you think of these: www.xcarlink.co.uk (http://www.xcarlink.co.uk)

Exact replicas from China availble on ebay for £20 less!

Sorry about the questions!

Cheers.

rick_s
17-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I have the xcarlink one - found out about out it from this site. You get free delivery if you put in the voucher code. It works a treat and took the best pasrt of 5-10 minutes to connect up, and then around 30mins to widen the hole in the glovebox for the cable.

Sounds great.. well worth the money!!

ps. you can use the ipod controls AND the controls on the headunit, but as soon as you change the playlist using the headunit, the ipod comes up with the usual 'ok to disconnect' screen.

Oh and with the carlink one you can continue using your cd changer - if you have one.

tony_anon
17-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I sent xcarlink an email about glove box access. They said there wasn't any need to drill holes in it but the cable could be 'squeezed' through it.

Is it a problem when they Ipod comes up with 'ok to disconnect'? i.e. can you still use it?

Do you get the audi logo coming up anywhere? Also, can you connect the latest (3rd gen) Ipod nano on it?

Cheers.

rick_s
17-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmm.. it may be on certain vehicles but there is no way it would have squeezed through the hole in my glovebox. There is a larger hole at the back of the glovebox but it was much harder to try and feed it round than it was to get a knife and cut a chunk out!

When it comes up with 'ok to disconnect' you cannot use it, only via the headunit. You can quickly disconnect it and connect it again to get functionality back on the ipod tho.

No audi logo... why do you need an audi logo?

Im pretty sure any ipod will work... since they have never changed the fitments!? Carlink will be able to confirm this for you though..

All in all, best thing I have bought for my car!

Rick.

Bugbear
17-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Can anyone tell me whether these units charge the ipod unit when its connected ?

Thanks.

madfella65
21-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I have got the genuine Audi ipod connector - for this you do need to widen the holes in the glovebox.
I have it connected at the min to my symphony II (the radio with the 6CD in dash changer) and It allows me to swap between playing cds and using the ipod.
On my old 30GB Ipod Video it came up with the audi logo but you could not use the ipod at all when it was connected - I have since got an Ipod Touch and it also works with this and you can use the ipod while it is connected and playing - though no logo on screen.

btw - all ipods are charged using the genuine connector - can't confirm about the carlink one.
:beerchug:

tony_anon
21-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure with the genuine audi adaptor you can't switch between the ipod (on head unit) and the cdchanger. They say it uses the cdchanger connection etc. The xcarlink one splices the cable so that you use both ipod on head unit and cd on the head unit. Do a search in audi's website for ipod and you'll see. The above applies to my concert anyway (single cd).

rick_s
22-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Can anyone tell me whether these units charge the ipod unit when its connected ?

Thanks.

Yes, they do charge the unit.

tony_anon
24-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Can anybody confirm (or not) that the ipod/mp3 adaptor only works if you have a cdchanger on the head unit which will be a button labelled "CC/CD".

RickT
27-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi,

There are loads of threads on the site about IPOD in-car, however i have not foiund one which answers my question so i thought i would post the question out.

Below is the current set up i have in the car, An Audi Chours with 6 disk changer.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/EDIT3.jpg

The question i have is, Will the Audi Chours be able to control the IPOD at all?

Is there an "split" leads which i can get so i can still use the Auto Changer and IPOD?

if you have any further advice, please share.. :biglaugh:

I have just sent xcarlink an email asking for advice.

Cheers

Rick

rick_s
28-12-2007, 01:08 AM
The question i have is, Will the Audi Chours be able to control the IPOD at all?

Is there an "split" leads which i can get so i can still use the Auto Changer and IPOD?

Hi, I'm not sure about the first part of the question as mine is the Symphony with the changer behind the centre console. The ipod can be controlled via the headunit at all times.

The lead which comes with the xcarlink allows you to continue using the cd changer. On mine, to access the CD changer you press the CD button ONCE and then to access the ipod you press the CD button TWICE. This way I have my 6cd's in there and also my ipod playlists. My xcarlink unit also has a 3.5mm connection on it so I can connect other 'normal' mp3 players.

Rick.

RickT
28-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi, I'm not sure about the first part of the question as mine is the Symphony with the changer behind the centre console. The ipod can be controlled via the headunit at all times.

The lead which comes with the xcarlink allows you to continue using the cd changer. On mine, to access the CD changer you press the CD button ONCE and then to access the ipod you press the CD button TWICE. This way I have my 6cd's in there and also my ipod playlists. My xcarlink unit also has a 3.5mm connection on it so I can connect other 'normal' mp3 players.

Rick.

Cheers mate,

i will look at getting one of these then,

Cheers

Rick

RickT
28-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Today in the "sun" newspaper i saw an offer @ Comet, for a FM Transmitter, USB mains charger and IPOD skin cover with screen protectors for £19.99 reduced from £40.00..

I know the FM transmitter will not be the best quality, buts is a cheap solution in the meantime, plus i was looking for a cover and these seemed to be priced at around £10-15 anyway.. plus the charger is a bonus!!

See photo below.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/RIMG0200.jpg

Rick

tony_anon
30-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I have the xcarlink one - found out about out it from this site. You get free delivery if you put in the voucher code. It works a treat and took the best pasrt of 5-10 minutes to connect up, and then around 30mins to widen the hole in the glovebox for the cable.

Sounds great.. well worth the money!!

ps. you can use the ipod controls AND the controls on the headunit, but as soon as you change the playlist using the headunit, the ipod comes up with the usual 'ok to disconnect' screen.

Oh and with the carlink one you can continue using your cd changer - if you have one.

Can I ask where I can get the voucher code?

RickT
31-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Can I ask where I can get the voucher code?

Hi,

Take a look at this link..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15672

i wont post the code here as it will appear on google and we dont want any non members using it. (only members can view the supporting companies section)

Cheers

Rick

RickT
31-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi,

Today in the "sun" newspaper i saw an offer @ Comet, for a FM Transmitter, USB mains charger and IPOD skin cover with screen protectors for £19.99 reduced from £40.00..

I know the FM transmitter will not be the best quality, buts is a cheap solution in the meantime, plus i was looking for a cover and these seemed to be priced at around £10-15 anyway.. plus the charger is a bonus!!

See photo below.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/RIMG0200.jpg

Rick

Anyway..

In regards to the FM transmitter.... its rubbish.. the sound is like Mono and the headunit Bleeps as its looking for a better signal, i have tried all settings but it wont work..

BUT.. £19.99 for the set above was worth it for the Nanno skin, screen protectors, wheel protectors and indoors charger.

On a plus point.... It works ok in our VW Polo 2006, (i only tried it in my A4 - B6.) ... im just too picky..

Rick

tony_anon
31-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Take a look at this link..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15672

i wont post the code here as it will appear on google and we dont want any non members using it. (only members can view the supporting companies section)

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick.

retailandtrade
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi

This xcarlink lead for the ipod and Audi sound system sounds fantastic.

Has anyone bought this item? Is there any chance of finding out the length of this lead as i want it not in my glovebox but in my centre console armrest.

I dont like the idea of keep stretching over to the glove box if i need to use the ipod controls.

Just think it will be more neater in the centre console arm rest, running the lead through the underneath of the centre console.

Many thanks

jetset
13-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Anyway..

In regards to the FM transmitter.... its rubbish.. the sound is like Mono and the headunit Bleeps as its looking for a better signal, i have tried all settings but it wont work..

BUT.. £19.99 for the set above was worth it for the Nanno skin, screen protectors, wheel protectors and indoors charger.

On a plus point.... It works ok in our VW Polo 2006, (i only tried it in my A4 - B6.) ... im just too picky..

Rick

Rick - are you sure that you had the TA (traffic stuff) turned off? I have a Kensington Quickseek transmitter that works pretty well - not so good in/around London because FM is so jammed with radio stations, but good pretty much everywhere else. The head unit beeps if I have switched to the iPod from listening to an FM station with TA switched on.

Menenlily
09-03-2008, 10:22 PM
In previous cars I've used my ipod with an FM transmitter, but my new (old) '98 A6 Avant's radio/cassette will only tune in to existing stations... not empty space.:mad:
So...
Now that I have a car with fantastic sound I'd like to hardwire an ipod connection to the head unit to make the most of it, but all the options I've looked at (Connects2, Dennison, Dice, etc.) talk about connecting to the head unit's CD changer output. Only my car's Audi Concert doesn't have a CD changer or player.
This is not a job I would undertake myself (I'm only a girl) but I need to know before parting with my cash if this head unit HAS a CD output to connect an ipod adaptor to. Does anyone know? Or, has anyone figured out how to tune into an empty space on the Audi Concert? :1zhelp: Any ideas appreciated - my old cassettes are just too... old :o

sbuk73
10-03-2008, 01:07 AM
I personally do not know what connections are at the back of the CONCERT unit - one of the other members might come back to you on that one. What I might suggest given that it is the CONCERT unit you have which is what we call as Single DIN head-unit. You can always pull that stereo out and install an after market by KENWOOD, SONY etc which has IPOD ready functionality and connectivity ready to go. Have pasted an example. Definitely something worth looking at I think ... on some of the earlier Audi cars.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5859/referer/rc_froogle.html

You can also make a point of speaking to one of your local car audio stores - might be just as easy going to Halfords or some other and seeing what they have already on demo to try with your ipod.

Menenlily
10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks SBUK73, I took your advice and had a look at what Halfords had to offer, after speaking to my nearest Audi dealership who were clueless and no help at all. Halfords are currently doing free installation on the Denison ICE-Link FM iPod adapter @ £69.99, which didn't require a CD changer connector. In case anyone else with an ancient A6 is interested, this is from Halfords' website:

Dension Ice-Link FM iPod Car Connector is a fitted iPod solution using your car stereo, there is no need to retune and no radio interference.

Features and Benefits:-
Control the volume via car stereo
Available for most factory fitted car stereos
Connector keeps iPod charged

All the above is true - the sound is great, there's no interference from neighbouring radio stations (so far), you can control the volume (although nothing else) via the Audi Concert, and it works with any iPod and the iPhone. When you connect the iPhone you are asked if you want to go into Airplane Mode so that incoming calls etc. don't interfere with music playback. It's just occurred to me that the Denison just might play incoming calls through the car's speakers. Hey, that would be cool. I'll let you know when I've had a play with it.

I guess 70 quid is a bit pricey considering I could have had a new head unit for not much more, but personally I hate these flashy, plasticky things and wanted to keep my Audi Concert.

hanny73
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

I've got an A4 convertible and was thinking about getting an iPOD adaptor but I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer!

I've a concert 6 CD changer, with a cool box in the glovebox, where is the best place to fit the adaptor? I do have an arm rest.

How easy are they to fit?

Thanks!

Menenlily
13-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Me again, with a quick update on the Denison Ice-Link ipod adaptor.

It's going back.

I've noticed some interference with tuned-in radio stations on my Audi Concert. Sometimes there's just silence, mostly the volume (or perhaps the reception) cuts in and out. Similar to what I read somewhere else on this forum, I've also been finding that when I go to a tuned-in station, sometimes it will start at very low volume. When I go to increase the volume slightly (one or two clicks on the volume knob), suddenly I get ear-splitting volume which takes several full turns of the volume knob to correct.

Halfords have kindly agreed to uninstall it and refund me and I think my best bet now is to replace the head unit.

StuPDi
13-03-2008, 03:57 PM
i looked at the dension, then decided on the harman kardon unit instead. i-pod sits in the glovebox locked away and i have the remote display and jog wheel mounted on a custom pod :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/stu6963/28122007344.jpg

Stu

A4Ade
20-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi

This xcarlink lead for the ipod and Audi sound system sounds fantastic.

Has anyone bought this item? Is there any chance of finding out the length of this lead as i want it not in my glovebox but in my centre console armrest.

Many thanks

Just installed one of these - it is indeed a nifty gadget. In case it's still useful, my xcarlink had about 75cm of cable (approximate, because I had replaced the stereo before remembering to measure it so couldn't quite get to the end).

I have just fed it through to the glovebox though - it might be tricky to reach whilst driving, but then you shouldn't really be fiddling with an ipod whilst driving anyway ;) It was very easy, although if anyone plans to do this, make sure you feed the cable from glovebox to stereo, not the other way around, as the xcarlink unit won't fit through the hole at the back of the glovebox!

I thought I'd take a picture of the connections too, in case it helps anyone:

http://www.grocott.me.uk/DSC00734.JPG

You have to unclip the blue part of the blue-green-yellow connector and replace it with the blue connector attached to the xcarlink. The blue part you have just unclipped then slots into the black connector attached to the xcarlink. The newly fashioned blue-green-yellow connector then replaces the original connector in the back of the stereo (Symphony II in my case) with this original connector being moved to the large red end of the blue-green-yellow connector. Finally, screw the earth wire to a suitable spot on the stereo casing.

sbuk73
20-05-2008, 06:00 PM
It's a shame that didn't work out for you ... going back to one of the earlier threads,
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/bmy_search.php?brand=AUDI
Can't remember if you had looked into this one too ? anyway happy motoring and radio listening for the time being.

kurtas2006
17-08-2008, 10:29 AM
After fiddling with a phatbox all week and getting nowhere it is time to move on to an ipod adapter.

How easy is this to feed through to the glove box ?

Can you just pull the glovebox lining out ?

Also wheres the brains of this go ? behind the stereo or just leave it in the glovebox ?

Thanks in advance.