PDA

View Full Version : T4 Diesel mechanic?!

Jasonkeys
14-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Why can't I find a mechanic who can tell me what's wrong with my T4? I have a tappetty engine which is getting more clattery and is now losing power at 70mph+. I suspect the tappets AND perhaps a timing belt problem, but I'm no mechanic and don't know what a 2.5TDi is supposed to sound like!:confused:

Does anyone know of a Veedoubleyouphile in West Sussex? Are you such a person? 'Normal' mechanics can't seem to be able to help, short of stripping the head and seeing what happens.

I've changed the oil and filter to no avail :(

:1zhelp:

PS, I'm not so much looking for ideas on what the problem is, but rather a garage in my area that you would recommend ringing. before valve meets piston...

zollaf
15-10-2009, 09:16 AM
the vacuum pump could be responsible for thr noise. ive known these to sound close to death:(. locate the brake servo and follow the plastic pipe back to the engine, where it plugs into the vac pump. remove the pipe and squirt some oil (wd40 etc) into the pump. if this cures the noise, jobs a goodun. if not,:mad:. the power loss could be unrelated, so a fault code read would be a good starting point for that.

Jasonkeys
15-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks zollaf. That sounds like a quick and easy elimination exercise. Funnily enough, a mechanic I went to see today mentioned the same thing. However, he seems to think that it is a dodgy tappet, characterised by the intermittentcy of the tapping noise. I was surprised that a tappet could get this loud. He suggested I change the oil again, but add some Molyslip to try and loosen it up. His other advice was to live with it. It's too loud for that, so maybe I'll do my next cambelt change early and have the tappets replaced then. If that's the problem. Doesn't explain the 70mph+ misfire though...:confused:

Anyhow - at least I've found a VW mechanic who has aleast half a clue. I found him in Itchenor near Chichester by chance.

zollaf
16-10-2009, 07:31 PM
the one i did sounded really loud, just like the engine was about to fall apart, but was ok a few seconds later. try the oil idea, and also try pumping the brakes when it does it.

johnwintle
25-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Jason,

Did you try John Mitchell at JMR in Littlehampton by any chance? Nearer to you than Itchenor...