PDA

View Full Version : Sick 115TDI

epic andy
28-01-2006, 03:19 PM
After looking around the internet trying to find information on MAF problems l found this excellent site.
It seems l am not alone with poor acceleration on my Golf GT TDI 115 PD.
As l only drive the car at weekends l didn't notice the lack of power straight away. This morning l went out with a stop watch and compared my 50-70 accelaertion figures in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. The results were terrible. 50-70 in 3rd took a massive 15sec all the rest about double what they should be. Yet the fuel economy still seems ok, just drove from Peterborough to Cardiff and averaged 54MPG.
A VW mechanic told me that to do a home fault diagnostic test on the MAF, remove it and put it in a saucepan of boiling water. Refit to car then take for a drive. If performance is restored the MAF needs replacing. Unfortunatley when the ignition is switched off the connection in the MAF is lost and poor performance is again felt.
Has anyone tried this as l am rather reluctant to try, and make maters worse.?
Any information would be gratefully accepted.

Andy.

stuart
28-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi

Thanks for the comment on the site, and for joining:)

MAF Sensors are a VERY! common fault on VAG vehicles. From GSF or Euro Car Parts, they cost around the £60 mark:)

Thanks

Stuart

gellery
13-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi

I am a relatively new (1 month) owner of a Golf GTTDI 115. I have had problems on long runs (and only long runs) when the power dies without any warning / engine management light and the car runs in 'limp' mode. The car is back in the garage for the 3rd time after having the MAF and another sensor changed and is now having the turbo reconditioned. Whats more is that it seems to be occurring after fewer and fewer miles the longer the problem persists.

Has anyone else had a similar problem that hasn't been fixed after replacing the MAF? The garage have given me a Toyota Starlet to use and so I need to get to the bottom of this problem ASAP!!!

Cheers

G