PDA

View Full Version : abs light

woodywoodpecker
26-04-2007, 06:58 PM
my abs warning light is staying on my vw sharan,can anyone tell me what the fault is, and will it fail its mot because of this? cheers

nick_a4t
18-08-2007, 03:24 PM
its an mot fail.
maybe a wheel sensor but abs module on side of pump is common.
bba reman will recon it with 2yr warranty for £100.

Moira
28-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Definately an MOT failure. Sons Golf VR6 failed for the same thing. Get the sensors checked before you get them replaced as they are expensive and his problem turned out to be just electrical

g-snev
23-03-2009, 06:01 PM
My Sharan's ABS light came on while I was driving to a booked MoT test - they just know when to go wrong don't they!

I found GSF Car Parts Heathrow branch very helpful with their £20 fault codes readout and re-set service. One wheel sensor was showing an intermittent fault so on their advice I purchased the sender unit. When I got the wheel off it was obvious that the part that had failed was the slotted ring around the hub. This had rusted so badly that the expanding rust had broken the ring and the sensor saw one wide gap every turn of the wheel and flagged this up as a fault. Unfortunately the ring cannot be purchased on its own - it comes with the CV joint which is rather expensive and turns the job into a much bigger one. The sticking up broken end of the ring had also machined the end of the sensor so that had to be changed anyway.

For info, numerous alarm and engine air mass inlet sensor fault codes were showing and were reset as part of GSF's service. Aparently these were due to water in the drivers door lock actuator (WD40 sorted that out) and running the engine with the mass flow sensor disconnected - apparently a no-no on this car.

andy8442
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello all. Was the ESP or ABS warning light that came on, as our Touran's ESP light has come on. After a visit to my local garage they told me it was a sensor in the ABS unit that had failed and the whole unit has to be replaced. £1000+! They also said it's a known common fault. Has anyone else heard about this? or had any dealings with VW on out of warranty claims?

g-snev
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
My Sharan is 1998 so doesn't have ESP, but the ESP on your car will use the same wheel sensors as the ABS system, so if it's a fault with them logically both lights should come on.

Suggesting replacing a whole unit straight away and saying it's a common fault sounds like someone who's trying to part you from your money!

andy8442
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks, but unfortunately it's true. Have a look around this forum, it does'nt make good reading for VW.