PDA

View Full Version : mfd2

csmccoll68
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
hi guys

looking for help fitting mfd2 to 05 with rcd300 :zx11: is it really as easy

as they say to fit pics and guide would be great .

no can bus mods needed ??

hartry
13-10-2009, 08:36 AM
yes it really is as easy as they say you should be able to find plenty of info by searching, both on here and google, but in short:

remove plastic trim around existing stereo by grasping under bottom edge and gently tugging each corner in turn, lower around gear lever and leave in situ to avoid problems with airbag warning system, unscrew 4 torx screws around stereo, remove existing stereo, choose site for gps antenna (for me this involved removing glovebox and cable tying to a cross member under the dash and routing cable up to back of stereo), plug new mfd2 in, screw 4 torx screws back in, replace trim.

no coding required, if you decide to take the glovebox out there are 4 screws accross the top edge, three across the bottom, then a slot at the bottom centre into which you must shove a flat screwdriver to release the box

revver
13-10-2009, 11:56 AM
yes it really is as easy as they say you should be able to find plenty of info by searching, both on here and google, but in short:

remove plastic trim around existing stereo by grasping under bottom edge and gently tugging each corner in turn, lower around gear lever and leave in situ to avoid problems with airbag warning system, unscrew 4 torx screws around stereo, remove existing stereo, choose site for gps antenna (for me this involved removing glovebox and cable tying to a cross member under the dash and routing cable up to back of stereo), plug new mfd2 in, screw 4 torx screws back in, replace trim.

no coding required, if you decide to take the glovebox out there are 4 screws accross the top edge, three across the bottom, then a slot at the bottom centre into which you must shove a flat screwdriver to release the box

out of interest, does the antena need line of sight to the sky or will it work ok if under the dash?

hartry
13-10-2009, 12:28 PM
mine is under the dash and works perfectly. it is strapped to the top of a metal crossmember behind the glovebox, somewhere behind the passenger airbag, so all it has (directly) above it is the plastic dash and glass windscreen.

nb anyone who's going to do this be extremely careful arounjd the airbag and make sure your antenna and wiring is well away from the airbag and will not interfere with the path the airbag would take if deployed

csmccoll68
13-10-2009, 03:02 PM
hi

thanks for info really helpful i am currently looking at a rns 510 i have heard about probs

with the software version affecting the can bus conns you aware of any specific probs

with this assc with passat

colin

hartry
13-10-2009, 03:19 PM
not sure sorry