PDA

View Full Version : mk3 golf hiccups. ha!

charl88
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
hey everyone,
I've got a 1994 mk3 golf 1.8 petrol auto, but having slight problems, i can start it and will run on tick over fine, but as soon as revs go up it wants to die, sometimes cutting out, i have a feeling its auto choke is flooding it, but dont really know wher to start in how to fix it?
the ony way im getting round it at the mo is letting it warm up before i go and holding off on the throttle until it gets its life back, but its a bit of a nuissance.
anyone got any ideas? :1zhelp:
thanks!
charlotte x

Crasher
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
It does not have an auto choke as such as it has single point fuel injection, even though it looks like a carburettor. I suspect the coolant temperature sender is stuck on a hot reading so a fault code read would be a good idea as it may have a code for the coolant temperature sender logged in the engines computer. Alternately you could change the sensor which is located in the plastic water housing on the cylinder head between cylinders 3 and 4. It is VW part number 6U0 919 501 B.

charl88
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
hey great, I'll have a look, i had to change the single point manifold gasket as it was hardly attached still, it helped quite a lot but will have a look further into it.
thanks!

charl88
30-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi, me again! well its been a challenge, I changed the coolant temp sender, but I'm afraid its not solved it, been talking to some people and someone mentioned the throttle position sensor, trying to look for a new one is a mission, and so went to a scrappy and just got the whole single point injector (carb lookalike, ha!) off a 1.8 mk3 golf too, however as mine is an auto the sensor is totally different! does anyone have any info on where i could get a sensor from? new or old? :confused:
thanks!
charl x

zollaf
30-11-2009, 03:31 PM
i think its time for a code read to see if the computer can identify the fault. you could spend a lot of money on parts before you change the right item.

Crasher
30-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Urinating in the wind in the vain hope of hitting the pot…

zollaf
30-11-2009, 07:05 PM
:Dlol