PDA

View Full Version : engine drop - engine mountng bolts sheer

shazzander
26-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi

Anyone with any ideas to this would be welcomed

My Step son has a Golf 1.9TDi 2001 he has done 6,000 miles since purchase and its around 100,000 miles now - before he bought it the Cambelt was changed by a Volkwagen dealer at about 75,000 miles, just before he bought it a service was done at a VW dealer and as a condition of sale the clutch and flywheel were changed by the sellars (a garage) mechanic as there was a misfire. Anyway clutch was also changed at the same time as the flywheel as it seemed to make sense and the misfire was resolved.

Five/Six weeks ago he was hit by someone who was pulling out from a side road - he was only going 25mph tops as he was in traffic - little damage to his car but the other car was a mess!!

Last week whilst driving he experienced vibration on the steering wheel and pedals and stopped, couldn't see a problem under the bonnet - so cintinued and problem ocurred again but worse followed by a loud noise. When he stopped and looked this time an engine mounting bolt (s) had broken and the engine had dropped.:zx11: He got back home thanks to a low loader and the RAC.

We have spoken to VW and have an incident number to take it further.

RAC had not seen or heard of anything like it before - has anyone else heard of engine mounting bolts sheering?? We have read other forums and there is some talk that these bolts should be replaced when the CAM belt is replaced??!!!
Could an impact have done it or is there is anyway the replacement of the flywheel and clutch could be connected?? :confused:

Eshrules
26-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi

Anyone with any ideas to this would be welcomed

My Step son has a Golf 1.9TDi 2001 he has done 6,000 miles since purchase and its around 100,000 miles now - before he bought it the Cambelt was changed by a Volkwagen dealer at about 75,000 miles, just before he bought it a service was done at a VW dealer and as a condition of sale the clutch and flywheel were changed by the sellars (a garage) mechanic as there was a misfire. Anyway clutch was also changed at the same time as the flywheel as it seemed to make sense and the misfire was resolved.

Five/Six weeks ago he was hit by someone who was pulling out from a side road - he was only going 25mph tops as he was in traffic - little damage to his car but the other car was a mess!!

Last week whilst driving he experienced vibration on the steering wheel and pedals and stopped, couldn't see a problem under the bonnet - so cintinued and problem ocurred again but worse followed by a loud noise. When he stopped and looked this time an engine mounting bolt (s) had broken and the engine had dropped.:zx11: He got back home thanks to a low loader and the RAC.

We have spoken to VW and have an incident number to take it further.

RAC had not seen or heard of anything like it before - has anyone else heard of engine mounting bolts sheering?? We have read other forums and there is some talk that these bolts should be replaced when the CAM belt is replaced??!!!
Could an impact have done it or is there is anyway the replacement of the flywheel and clutch could be connected?? :confused:

you havent told us the time elapsed between the flywheel/cambelt change and the accident your son has just had....

if sufficient time has elapsed, VW cant be held responsible unfortunatley. you may have more chance claiming for the repairs as a result of the accident.

i have had this myself, on my fiat brava. driving home one night and an engine mount bolt simply sheered away, tore off the front exhaust flexi pipe and managed to tear one of the front cv boots somehow. dealer had to cover the fault, as id only had the car for a week.

without the timescale involved, i cant comment any further :(

shazzander
26-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I have not got the exact dates until I get the paperwork off him but roughly the Cam belt was changed at 78,414 miles i don't have this date until i get the paperwork - my Step son bought the car at 94,000 miles in September 2006 when the clutch and flywheel were done - accident in March- April 2007 which he has already received payment for - engine drop April 2007

Eshrules
26-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I have not got the exact dates until I get the paperwork off him but roughly the Cam belt was changed at 78,414 miles i don't have this date until i get the paperwork - my Step son bought the car at 94,000 miles in September 2006 when the clutch and flywheel were done - accident in March- April 2007 which he has already received payment for - engine drop April 2007

ok... as far as VW's liability goes.... id forget trying to persue that one, it was done over 15k ago and over 6 months ago... VW dont have any liability there, unless you happened to prove it was poor workmanship which caused the bolt to sheer....very difficult to prove :(

as for the accident, if you've already accepted payment and the car was asessed at the time, i hate to say it, but they cant be held responsible either.

it could just be one of those things... nothing in particular may have caused it, metal rusts, bolts can easily just sheer... its just one of those things.

from your description, all the car now needs is a new engine mount and bolt? has any other damage been caused?