PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 'New to me' VW Passat 1.9 GL TDi

TiggerB
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I am due to collect a P reg (1996) VW Passat 1.9 GL TDi next weekend. Its seems reasonably priced and has an average mileage for its year (140K). Unfortunately I haven't heard the engine as the battery was completely dead. The car sales place is attached to a garage and both are long established and well known in the area so I'm confident they're not selling me a dud! However, I would like to go next Saturday with some background information on what to listen or look for when the engine is running. I've already asked about the timing belt/cam belt (not sure what type it is) but the seller couldn't give me any info. The service history was okay but only for earlier mileage so suspect it was a company car in its early life. The inside of the car is very tidy with no marks on the cloth and a tidy boot - even the spare seems to have decent tread on it!

So folks, any hints or tips for me?

Many thanks in advance

Crasher
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
A car like this is a minefield, take great care as it could be a money pit. Hopefully you are not paying much for it but one small fault could cost double the cars value to rectify. Just doing a cam belt correctly can cost £400.

TiggerB
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your comments. So Passats are expensive to repair then? I won't be using a VW garage as I have a very good local garage near me who have always done the big jobs on my cars and are usually very reasonable. I might pop in there during the week and ask them what it would likely cost for a cambelt. I assume from your comments it is a belt and not a chain? I know some diesels have chains or so I believe.

I went back to check the car again today and although the garage was closed had a good look under the car from the boundary fence (its parked just the otherside of the fence). It hasn't been moved in a while as they'll have to move about 20 cars to get it out but the ground underneath the car is clean and all the tyres are well inflated so hopefully won't have to get new tyres just yet.

I have very limited funds to buy a car but specific needs which the car meets - plenty of leg room in the back being one as I have a 3 year old in a 'bulky' car seat and a long legged 14 year old!

Crasher
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
They can be expensive to repair properly, it depends on how well you want jobs doing. Yes it is a belt, no VAG diesel is chain drive up until 2006. You have limited funds to buy, what about funds to get it legal? Don’t you think you should have the car appraised before buying it?

TiggerB
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
The car is legal, from a reputable garage with an MOT until September 2010, not really sure what you're implying by your comments. I was just after some hints like check for oil around the .... or a noise from the ..... I have also paid to check the car is legit and has no known history/write offs etc. I've also checked the details on the Government webpage. I will get my garage to check it out for me and will be straight back if there is anything thats not obvious but I don't expect it. As I mentioned before - the garage I'm buying from is long established (as both a garage and car dealer) and comes recommended by locals.

I think I'll just leave this now and go and ask my garage mechanic for advice.

TiggerB
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Crasher, sorry if I offended you with my reply but I would like to add I do know a bit about cars, I've had quite a few and varied makes over the years but I've never had a VW. I really wanted any problems to look out for which are peculiar to this make/range of cars, sorry if I didn't make it clearer in my original messages. Major jobs I have good trustworthy local mechanics for, minor jobs I will probably do myself.

Crasher
11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I am not trying to imply anything, as your funds are limited I am trying to help you avoid buying a money pit, as for check this and check that, well check everything. An MOT is not an indication of a vehicles road worthiness, if you are paying good money for the car then it should be sound and not prone to huge outlay in the immediate future, I can’t see the car-you can. I have worked on VAG cars for 25 years and have seen some horrors and a car like you describe could be a horror or a surprise good find but I can’t see it and have to expect the worst. Thinking about this a bit more, if it hasn’t been moved in a while that can only be at the very most 41 days as it has a September 2010 MOT.

TiggerB
11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks Charger, I suppose I feel a bit caught between a rock and a hard place - my previous car was written off following a head on collision (not my fault). It was a good car which despite being a V reg, had only done 53K. You can imagine the payout wasn't large and so been struggling to find a replacement. I do appreciate your help, sorry to have came across otherwise.

Although I've put a deposit on this VW, its only a tiny one and I will walk away if I am the slightest bit unhappy with the car on saturday. I will insist on a test drive before parting with any more money. If something crops up after I have bought the car I will make a fuss no matter what the garage imply - the vehicle still has to be fit for purpose and I don't mind making a fuss though I'm sure the garage would rather I didn't. At the end of the day I won't risk putting my kids in a car I don't feel is safe. I also have a, probably, larger than average amount set aside in my monthly budget specifically for car repairs as cars I have tend to be older.

With Diesel Passats I think I've seen it suggested the cam belt is replaced every 50k miles, is that what you would normally do? Is there anything other major that I'd need to consider? As soon as I have the MOT certificate I will check the MOT history to see if there were any failures and watch for advisories. I've also looked at the price and I'm getting it for under what is the suggested Forecourt price but more than the private price. It does look a tidy car so fingers crossed I've found a gem.

Thanks

TiggerB
12-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Just found something else to help - a guide on potential Passat faults and recalls, with pictures and explanations of what might happen and a suggested reduction in price! Even if I don't do anything with it, just taking it along will show I mean business! :biglaugh:

TiggerB
17-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Just an update on the Passat.

Picked it up today and it drives really well, engine is clean without looking like its been cleaned (if that makes sense). Having fun working out all the bits inside and the radio seems to have a mind of its own as it keeps changing station so suspect a bit of lose wiring or a gremlin! Only bit of bad news seems to be the boot lock, worked when I checked it out before and first time I did it today but seems to have now come adrift so already arranged for the garage to have it back to fix. I've also now got the MOT history and all, but the most recent MOT, were done by the same garage so going to try phoning them on Monday to see if they also serviced the vehicle and have any history.

Thanks for the advice Charger even if I didn't seem to be taking it on board! :biglaugh:

Crasher
17-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Crasher old boy, Crasher.

TiggerB
17-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Oops - and I looked at the previous messages to check the name!! :Blush2:

Sorry, thanks for your help Crasher.

Crasher
17-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Mind you, Charger could be more appropriate, the amount us heinous garage owners charge...:D

I hope you new car works out for you, we are here if it doesn’t.

TiggerB
17-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks Crasher

Still happy with the car, though just had trouble turning the key to turn the engine on - I'll get them to check that out when it goes back as well.

Chipped2
17-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Cambelt and tensioner every 60k. 1996 will have the disc rear brakes in place of the drum rears, discs are much better and have larger wheel bearings.

The wires that pass from the bulkhead through the rubber hose to the front doors can 'fatigue' and will need checking. It is always the thickest wires thay break knocking out your electric windows/sunroof if fitted. Same applies to the rear doors wires too.

Engine is the 1Z tdi engine. Mine has covered 240k on its original clutch/gearbox but has had its oil/filter changed every 5k. They are very reliable and bodys are long lasting. GL is the best model.

Wiring behind dash can throw up a few problems, no failures but annoying faults after high mileage. Intermediate exhaust box can become 'boomy' at certain revs and is a faullt of design. Stick to VW original parts. Rear exhaust box can appear very rusty but outer steel cover is sacrificial and can be peeled away. It is Stainless Steel underneath and will last ten years plus.

Found the originally fitted Firestone F570 and their replacements F580 etc to give very good balanced between grip/wear.

This model is underated and will give years and years of service if simple maintenance is carried out. Central locking is usual compressed air and is bombproof. If you are losing power steering fluid it is leaking into the bellows of the steering rack and signofies that it is failing. Mine failed after an accident and was replaced in 1997! It is a 1994 car. Hope you enoy it.:beerchug:

Chipped2
17-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Forgot to mention, cover wiper motor with polythene or rubber to prevent it getting wet every time it rains otherwise it will eventually rust inside with a premature failure.;)

Crasher
17-02-2010, 02:48 PM
1996 will have the disc rear brakes in place of the drum rears, discs are much better and have larger wheel bearings.

All front wheel drive Passat 31's and 3A’s (disc or drum) use the same 29 x 50.29 x 14.73 (311 405 625 F) inner and 39.8 x 17.4 x 15 (311 405 645) outer taper roller bearings wheel bearing from 88 to 97, in fact all front wheel drive Passat’s from 1974 to 1997 used the same kit, 191 598 625.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/191598625bearingkit.jpg

Chipped2
17-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Apologies Crasher.
We still have the 1994 Passat Est. GL in the familty and with 240k it has needed several rear wheel bearing kits. Don't think that they are man enough for a Passat towing caravan , boat and trailer.
Did buy a 1996 CL Passat with discs that didn't require any replacement rear bearings so assumed :Blush2: they were as the later Passats we had.
Shouldn't assume should I.!!

Crasher
18-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Those bearings actually stated VAG life holding up the front of a Beetle in 1966 and I also encountered them in the back plate of a Hoover washing machine…

parma_ham
28-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Just found something else to help - a guide on potential Passat faults and recalls, with pictures and explanations of what might happen and a suggested reduction in price! Even if I don't do anything with it, just taking it along will show I mean business! :biglaugh:

Hey chaps. I'm new here and also looking at buying a passat. Tigger, any chance I could have a copy of the guide you mention?

I appreciate I must also check everything on the car, but are there specific areas that I should play close attention to? I know that electric windows and central locking can be "quirky" sometimes. I'm looking at a 1.9tdi. I think it's the 90bhp version with the 1Z engine. Is there anyway of double checking this on the car? Is the block stamped with the engine code anywhere? I will ensure the turbo spools correctly in every gear and the engine is strong.

I'm a student and really need as reliable an estate (I surf) for the next couple of years. My honda isn't really worth repairing and the lure of a diesel is tempting. So do these estates fit the bill? Do they really achieve 50mpg? Is there anywhere I should be looking for one other than here/ebay/autotrader/local paper etc? I've seen one already with 150k mile at about £650 but it does have a short mot. Does that seem about right (obviously I will haggle)?
I've had a bit of a hunt around/search but am new to the site so sorry if some of the things have already been mentioned.

Cheers

Ben