PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone please help me diagnose what could be wrong with my A2?

richie74
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Can anyone please offer me any advice?

I have just recently bought an A2 (1.4) but am having nothing but trouble and can't get the car to run, when i go out in the morning the car just won't tick over, it just dies unless i keep the revs really high, but then after 5 mins of keeping the revs high it ticks over fine but during those 5mins i get loads of water coming from the exhaust, and then when i finally get it going if i drive too hard / too fast the car just goes into limp mode and dies out.

I took the car to Audi to have it checked and they said they have no idea what the problem is but they told me they found 9 engine faults so gave me a list of the codes and sent me on my way so i am still none the wiser to what the problem is. They said to find the fault i would need to leave the car with them and they will work there way through everything costing £££ that i just don't have, so before i have to resort to those drastic measures does anyone have any ideas of anything i can try, i am getting really desperate?

If it helps these are the 9 fault codes they gave:
17589 / p1181 Linear Oxygen Sensor / referance voltage / open circuit
17604 / p1196 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 1 - Sensor 1 / Malfunction
17586 / p1178 Linear Oxygen Sensor / pump current / open circuit
17912 / p1504 Air Intake System / LeaK Detected
17961 / p1553 Barometric Pressure Sensor / Manifold Absolute Pressure / Implausible relation
17952 / p1544 Angel Sensor 1 for Throttle Valve Drive G187 / Signal Too High
17580 / p1172 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit G188 / Signal Too Low
17834 / p1426 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve N80 / Open Circuit
16727 / p0343 Camshaft Pos. Sensor Circuit / High Input

Thanks

kite
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Have you tried over on A2OC.
Themguys know the A2 inside out....

a8 tech
09-10-2009, 08:21 PM
clear them down and recheck and repost the codes after a short test drive as it seems you have a common link and that's open circuit

richie74
21-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I had it re-scanned and the now the error i am getting is:

Controller: 8Z2 820 043
Component: A2-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT 0406
1 Fault Found:
00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Any ideas what this is and if this could be causing all my problems?

Thanks

spartacus 68
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Have you tried over on A2OC.
Themguys know the A2 inside out....

Can vouch for that... what they don't know about the A2 ain't worth knowing.

Sarge786
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Can anyone please offer me any advice?

I have just recently bought an A2 (1.4) but am having nothing but trouble and can't get the car to run, when i go out in the morning the car just won't tick over, it just dies unless i keep the revs really high, but then after 5 mins of keeping the revs high it ticks over fine but during those 5mins i get loads of water coming from the exhaust, and then when i finally get it going if i drive too hard / too fast the car just goes into limp mode and dies out.

I took the car to Audi to have it checked and they said they have no idea what the problem is but they told me they found 9 engine faults so gave me a list of the codes and sent me on my way so i am still none the wiser to what the problem is. They said to find the fault i would need to leave the car with them and they will work there way through everything costing £££ that i just don't have, so before i have to resort to those drastic measures does anyone have any ideas of anything i can try, i am getting really desperate?

If it helps these are the 9 fault codes they gave:
17589 / p1181 Linear Oxygen Sensor / referance voltage / open circuit
17604 / p1196 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 1 - Sensor 1 / Malfunction
17586 / p1178 Linear Oxygen Sensor / pump current / open circuit
17912 / p1504 Air Intake System / LeaK Detected
17961 / p1553 Barometric Pressure Sensor / Manifold Absolute Pressure / Implausible relation
17952 / p1544 Angel Sensor 1 for Throttle Valve Drive G187 / Signal Too High
17580 / p1172 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit G188 / Signal Too Low
17834 / p1426 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve N80 / Open Circuit
16727 / p0343 Camshaft Pos. Sensor Circuit / High Input

Thanks

Hi Mate, I take it your car is a 1.4 Petrol.

Take bonnet off, put some form of protection over off side wing (drivers front wing in order to avoid scratching it) lean over and you will see metal brake pipes, next to this is a rubber pipe with a sensor in it. VERY slowly and carefully feel your way down the rubber pipe where it 'touches' the metal brake pipe, you will find that the rubber pipe will have been rubbing on the metal brake pipe and caused a small hole in it (sometimes very tiny pinhole size) and you should most definately be able to feel the pipe weakened at that point. This will cause false readings and play havoc with the information being sent to the ECU.

This causes erratic 'hunting' of the engine speed and hard to get a stable idle.

Clean the pipe thoroughly and get some self amalgamating tape, stretch this special tape as you wrap it around the ruber pipe to seal that hole up and make sure there is enough so it gives good protection.

This 'should' be your fix Pal! :biglaugh:

Let me know ;)

Cheers

Sarge