PDA

View Full Version : Warning icons on dash?

paul46
25-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi All

1.9TDi (52) A few days ago I got the ABS and the ESP amber warning lights come up on my dash. They remained on until I got to work but driving the car later that day, they did not re appear.

However, a few days later i.e. today, they came up again and about 10 minutes later the amber heater plug icon appeared constantly flashing.

Looking at my manual it seems the ABS and the ESP are linked so could be difficult to isolate which is at fault, and the flashing heater plug icon seems to suggest a fault within the engine management system.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the fault? I was hoping that someone might suggest a sensor might just need cleaning but I think I might be clutching at straws!

Regards, Paul

Froggy
27-04-2007, 04:12 PM
If you have a fault with the ABS, it will automatically disengage the ESP system as it relies on the ABS sensors to help make the ESP work.

This is true for any of the other sensors for the ESP, e.g. Steering geometry, yaw, or pitch sensors etc. if they fail or give unreliable information the ESP switches of as it can't guarantee what it's doing is correct.

paul46
27-04-2007, 05:24 PM
If you have a fault with the ABS, it will automatically disengage the ESP system as it relies on the ABS sensors to help make the ESP work.

This is true for any of the other sensors for the ESP, e.g. Steering geometry, yaw, or pitch sensors etc. if they fail or give unreliable information the ESP switches of as it can't guarantee what it's doing is correct.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Any idea what might be causing the amber heater plug icon to flash constantly?

I realise it looks as though I will have to take it to a local garage to have it checked out using vagcom but I was hoping someone might suggest a simple fix first before visiting the garage!

Dansk
28-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi,

same thing happened to me, the ABS & ESP light turned out to be the "ESP angle sensor" which is located on the steering colum behind the sterring wheel, the part tells the ESP system which way your wheels are pointing, and the flashing glow plug light was my brake light switch. ESP sensor £300 fitted at Audi, and BLS was £8

Hope this helps

s0niX
28-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Dont go to VW to connect it to the VAGCOM, Buy a cheap one online costing about £49, that should diagnose the problem.

I think VW charges more than £50 just to hook you up

paul46
29-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks again guys for the latest replies. Much appreciated. I hope it doesn't cost me anywhere near £300 though :aargh4: Mind you, I have been using a local independent VW/Audi garage lately so it looks like I will be paying him a visit on Monday. I'm not sure if he has access to VagCom although I would imagine he does.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that its something simple and cheap to repair! Ever the optimist :D

paul46
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi All

Just to update. My car was taken into my local VW/Audi independant garage today and the problem diagnosed and sorted.

VagCom showed it was a faulty brake light switch. So, new switch at £7.92, one EPA (what ever that is?) at £3.50, labour at £28, VAT brought the final cost to £46.32. A lot less that I had feared!

All warning lights off and I'm a happy bunny again :biglaugh:

Thanks for all your feedback.