PDA

View Full Version : Rear break caliper problem

Dobbo_84
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone.

I was trying to change the rear discs today and when I got the passenger side I was horrified to find that one of the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the hub has been rounded out by a previeous owner. Im screwing cant belive that someone would leave it like that.

Does anyone know the best way to go about getting it out? I cant really afford to take it to a garage so any suggestions would be a great help.

Cheers for you input

Simon

NickPicks
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
How rounded is it? if it's just the corners rounded off, then you might have some luck with a socket which bears on the faces rather than the corners.

If it's completely round, then you could try hammering a suitable sized socket over it to get some purchase.

You could drill a hole down it and use a stud extractor to turn it out.

Whatever method you try, it's probably been rounded bacause it's siezed, so spray some Wurther Rost Off Plus onto it before you try anything.

Dobbo_84
08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Well firstly its an allen key bolt rather than a standard type. Ive tried gripping it and using oversized tools with no luck. Ive drentched it in various liquids to try and help it.

Thought about heating it up but not sure if that well help.

NickPicks
08-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah, that stymies my suggestions of sockets then.

I think you might be able to try a fluted extractor though. Hopefully Crasher will be along in a while to suggest what he'd do.

Dobbo_84
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
a fluted extractor? where do you think i would be able to find on of those!

thanks for you help by the way

zollaf
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
the quickest way to remove a rounded off allen head bolt, is to find a nut that will fit over the head, and weld it on. the heat will help to break the rust, and you have a nice new 19mm nut to turn.