PDA

View Full Version : Rear Coil Springs

djmx5
07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Just thought I'd share this with you all......

For the first time our '98 1.8 A3 failed the MOT..one of the rear coil springs was broken (the last inch had snapped off where it settles in the hanger) no doubt due to the poor state of british roads:mad:.

Have decided to replace the pair as don't wish to upset the ride with one new spring. After shopping around I have decided on Audi original parts as all other suppliers seemed less than confident in providing the right type(apparently there is more than one!).

Now I didn't realise, that in order to match those fitted, the parts guy needs to know what colour paint marks are on the springs themselves, in my case blue and silver marks, though these can be any combination of silver and blue, eg 2 silver 1 blue or vice versa.

Never come across that before..but then again never had busted springs before either! At least i can be assured of fitting the right parts. Turned out the pair amounted to £22 more than the 'independant' price so pretty good really. Will fit them at the weekend.

Anyone care to offer any observations or thoughts on the task at hand?

Cheers
D

kite
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Quite a common failure on TT's too.
You have a spring compressor for removal.

djmx5
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Kite.........have all the tools needed, though when I say I will be doing the job, it will be with the assistance of a time served spanner man!

Cheers

kite
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Ah....your the tea boy.......