PDA

View Full Version : "100 Years of Audi" Centenary Hard Disk

Hippogriff
07-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Due to some incorrect advice received, my Audi Dealer has been very accommodating and has provided me with a FoC 2.5" 250GB USB Audi branded hard disk - known as the Audi Centenary Disk - this is a limited edition Audi accessory, with a run of 5,000 units worldwide, apparently. It arrived this morning. It is quite sleek looking and the disk itself has the Audi rings with "Vorsprung durch Technik" written on it and "100 Years" too.

http://www.hmusiccentre.org.uk/forumimages/ami/AudiDisk.jpg

Everyone knows I tried a 2.5" 320GB Western Digital My Passport and had issues with my MY2010 car with MMI 3G and the AMI with the netting. It took ages to initialise, it kept starting at the first song on the disk and it didn't even fit snugly into the netting - oh, and I could only use around 15% of the overal 320GB capacity.

Everyone knows I recently bought a 1.8" 120GB Samsung S1 and I've had a revelation in how everything works - I love it. It is ready to go when the car starts, it remembers the song it was playing last time, it fits snugly into the AMI netting and I'm using around 35% of the 120GB capacity.

So, I must admit that the overall concept of the Audi Centenary Hard Disk puzzles me a great deal - even more so now that I have it in my hands and have been reading the manual. On the box it says "Universal data storage medium for Audi Music Interface, notebooks or PCs in "100 Years of Audi" limited edition" so it's definitely aimed at the AMI, but...

It is still 2.5" form factor, meaning it won't fit into the AMI netting, but I suppose it will be perfect for the AMI with MMI 2G tray.
It has a 250GB capacity, which means a load of it will be wasted with MMI 3G AMI - however, again, this limitation (4,000 songs) might not be present with the AMI that comes with MMI 2G.
Inside the manual is the most perplexing section - where it talks about choosing the file system for your disk - and happily advises the user that they can use NTFS instead of FAT32. Don't we all know the AMI won't play with NTFS disks?
All in all - a very odd thing indeed, if you have the AMI with the netting. I think it would be a perfect genuine Audi accessory for someone with the AMI that comes with MMI 2G and the tray in the glove compartment.

This item is unused and in perfect condition... I am not here intentionally hawking unwanted goods but if there was a forum member who would like the item, as I have my Samsung S1 it is no use to me, then please do get in touch and we can discuss.

Jop
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Can we see a pic of the unit?
And any lit LED's lit up.

Im not interested in buying, but am always interested in looking.

And I agree, what an odd thing to bring out.

Hippogriff
07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
The protective plastic covering remains on the unit, so it is pristine, but I have connected it to a PC and it all works fine... just the one bright blue LED, and the finish is a gloss with the writing you see below on it...

http://www.hmusiccentre.org.uk/forumimages/ami/AudiDisk2.jpg

Maybe this could be a collector's item... hmm.

troc
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Hmm, might possibly be interested. Just poking around ebay.de and it's crawling with them at various prices - seems lots of people are getting them as gifts or whatever from their dealers and realising they are essentially useless in the car :)

Hippogriff
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
If you have the AMI with netting and MMI 3G (which it seems you do) I'd be suggesting it is of about the same use to you as it is to me, i.e. quite little. Still it's a perfect USB 250GB disk, of course, and is Audi branded. It's aimed squarely at MMI 2G and AMI with tray though, I'd suggest.

troc
07-10-2009, 02:41 PM
That netting is great for holding the plastic covers that SD cards come in, I've got a few in there :) But indeed you are right - my WD passport won't fit in the netting at all......

I only use the AMI for my iPhone on long trips really although I was pondering getting a cheap second-hand iPod from somewhere to use.

Hippogriff
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
...indeed you are right - my WD passport won't fit in the netting at all......

Ah, it can go in the netting... but it needs coaxing in and, once in, it is not snug, it has to rest on one of the holding rails so is not level, but it will go in.

ScottyUK
07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Ah, it can go in the netting... but it needs coaxing in and, once in, it is not snug, it has to rest on one of the holding rails so is not level, but it will go in.

iPod Classic fits in just right. :biglaugh:

I only use the AMI for my iPhone on long trips really although I was pondering getting a cheap second-hand iPod from somewhere to use.

A brand new iPod classis is only two to three tank fulls of juice and you must get through that like mad! :biglaugh:

Come on boys. You know it makes sense :D ;)

troc
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
You don't need to "apple fanboy" me. :aargh4:

I have a whole heap of Apple stuff at home, including an original 5GB iPod with the actual machanical clickwheel, a 2nd Generation 20GB iPod (also firewire so no good). Both of these have flat batteries, the 20GB hs just killed it's second one....

I also have a 1st gen Nano which was lovely until it got washed :(

Wife has a shuffle and we both have iPhones.

That's before I get onto the computer/laptops and stuff (:1zhelp:) :)

I'd rather take a second-hand, going-to-waste, sitting unused in a drawer, superceded iPod off someone's hands than buy yet-another new piece of hardware. Apple has had far too much of my cash already ;)

:beerchug:

John

Jop
07-10-2009, 03:40 PM
lol... always back to ipods.

With a new one you can get it engraved. !KILLER APP !! WOW!

Hippogriff
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
iPod Classic fits in just right. :biglaugh:

So does my Samsung S1... for me, now (after I got my head around not needing all of my music in the car), I consider it as having all the pros, none of the cons. Very happy with it.

MFGF
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
At least you lot get netting with your 3G AMI. The A6 gets nothing! bah!!:(