PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Glass and auto dimming functionality

ScottyUK
06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
When I had my 2009 car I didn't have the tints and the dimming worked great. I was particularly pleased as I went for the electric folding and dimming mirrors and it worked well.

When I ordered my MY2010 car I added the tints.

Basically because all three dimming mirrors work off the sensor on the interior mirror and this is inside the car and hence gets less light due to the tints, the mirrors don't dip as often as they used to or should. The isn't a problem on the interior one as if less light gets through then I don't need it to dip but it does mean the exteriors don't dip when they should.

After speaking to Audi UK and then getting a technician to check it out, I've just been contacted by Audi to tell me they'll refund the cost of the mirrors.

I'd have preferred it all working but it seems to be a design flaw so this is about the best I could reasonably expect.

If you're considering these options please consider this implication especially as the mirrors have more than trebled in price since the latest brochure came out.

BMWBig6
07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
They all work off the same internal sensor? Brilliant design Audi.

ScottyUK
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Yep but do you think they'll admit to it being a design flaw? :(

Admittedly it's probably quite a limited number of people that'll be affected.....especially now the price has gone from £145 to £450 and also they don't seem to offer this in the US.

They've not replied to my last email yet.

Plife
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
It is shocking that they didn't realise this. I can't believe they can let products go and consumers find silly things like this.

I have actually never found the need for dimming mirrors and this is the first car I have had with them, and I had never had an issue with previous cars so wouldn't be a must on another car I ordered!

ScottyUK
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I gotta admit it does sound like a spoilt kid moaning "my mirrors don't dim". It's not the end of the world and of course we could all do without a lot of the gadgets. However I find them great for night driving and after paying for them I expected them to work.

BMWBig6
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
One other thing I don't like about the dimming mirrors is that the whole glass doesn't dim. Why does the .5 cm border around the edge not dim too? Is that a safety feature? I find it almost defeats the purpose, because if a car moves across my mirror, the glare shines in my eyes as it passes across the left edge, then briefly subsides in the center dimmed section, then re-blasts my eyes when it cross the right edge. Multiply that by 2 headlights...

Red 2
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Interesting, I had previously been under the impression that the bands around the mirrors were also part of the sensor package.

Strange thing is they still worked on my Golf GT with standard privacy glass (which I hated with a passion) and the mirros /sensor looked much the same.

Have them on my SE but wouldn't pay £450 for them...

ScottyUK
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Not sure what they're going to do, hopefully just an advisory but I've just got this from Audi UK.

"I have brought this to the attention of our marketing team who have advised me that they will look into this and change the brochure accordingly."

Jop
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Well.. i never knew my wing mirrors dim. --Maybe as scotty says, they don't as I also have privacy glass

I thought it was just the rearview

Bratty
08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Or do you have your exterior mirrors pointed inwards so that you can preen yourself like a Budgie! Like a typical "self satisfied in my purchase" S-line buyer;).

Dunk

ScottyUK
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Well.. i never knew my wing mirrors dim. --Maybe as scotty says, they don't as I also have privacy glass

I thought it was just the rearview

Fancy £145 cash back ? ;)

p.s. I'm assumming you did opt for the electric folding & DIMMING mirrors ? :D

Jop
08-10-2009, 02:35 PM
:confused:p.s. I'm assumming you did opt for the electric folding & DIMMING mirrors ? :D

Yeah of course!!! if it had a box, i ticked it.