PDA

View Full Version : Altenator Pully issue 03 Passat TDI

neovw
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi

I was getting a lot of noise from my Passat 03 TDI ,as another post I read on this forum described , it sounded like a tractor...

I have been told by VW that the pulley is seized and that I need a new pulley as it is making the altenator belt flap around hence the noise, it happens when I put full lock on too

They have quoted me £211 for the pleasure of doing it for me..

I doubt I will use them for it .. maybe use some local mechanic to do it ...

Is this a good idea or should VW being doing this and can you recommend anyone in the Manchester area?

Also would this affect my MPG? What should I expect from it , it has 65 K on the clock and is the 130BHP version... im trying to calculate what it actually does on my current tank .. the computer says 31MPG is this low?

Is it a serious problem or can i leave it for a while ? I was told the belt could go into the engine (a load of crap i thouht , )

martin1810
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Any garage can fit a new pulley for you. It requires one special tool which is cheap to buy and a new pulley. Best to get someone who has done one before. Most of the cost will be labour. On rare occasions belts have failed and damaged the cambelt cover and cam belt. It's not a likely thing though. Happens alot on peugeot and citroen diesel engines. Ignore the MPG display until you have done a brim to brim test of your own. Don't forget...people love quoting silly MPG figures on here.

neovw
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
OK i did a test of MPG.. filled up for 25 quid and it has 24 odd litres in there

anyway the MPG i got was about 30.. which is a bit low right ?

snapdragon
07-10-2009, 03:55 PM
OK i did a test of MPG.. filled up for 25 quid and it has 24 odd litres in there

anyway the MPG i got was about 30.. which is a bit low right ?

Is this brim to brim? If so, it is a bit low.

neovw
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
NO it wasnt :(

As i said i filled up when the empty light came on , put X litres in , drove my car untill the light came on again and calcualted from the mileage how many miles it had done off that much diseal.

it was half a tank basically or just over ..

snapdragon
07-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, that does rely on the fuel metering system being accurate. It is possible it isn't.