PDA

View Full Version : cutting out polo

newboy
25-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Doe's anyone have an idea what could be wrong with my 1995 polo 1.3 L, bosch throttle body?.......it starts first turn of the key every time, and ticks over sweet as anything, but when you press the throttle it sounds like its choking and dies?..........running out of ideas now?:mad:

e6m6a6
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
i have just about the same thing but mine does not die just sounds like the gates of hell have opened! my first attemp would be to clean the throttle bady and injectors or carb. could be a grade of fuel that you use (stick a bit of red-x in there aswell!)

gamekeeper
26-05-2007, 10:39 PM
did u get ya fuel from tesco cus they went thru a bad stage not so long ago. an every1s cars had wot u got

Flash2
26-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Newboy, a blockage in the exhaust system could cause that to happen. Perhaps the inside of your CAT has broken up. At idle, there is less gas pressure in the exhaust and it will run OK, but as you increase the throttle the amount of gas trying to pass through the system increases and it can't all pass the restriction and chokes the engine. You could try taking the O2 sensor off the exhaust (the one before the CAT) and see if it runs any better when you rev the engine. This makes a hole for the gas to escape before the blockage.
Regards - Jim.

Ben
27-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Could it be a blocked or restricted fuel filter. At tickover it can get what it needs, at higher revs it would require more but can't get what it wants.

Just a thought, but i may be way off the mark.

BEn

Paul Jay
27-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Has exactly the same problem with my Wife's Polo 1.4. It used to start fine, but as soon as you touched the throttle it coughed and had a huge flat spot. Eventually, it started running rough after start up.

Replaced the temperature sender (£11) and problem has gone completely and it runs sweet as a nut! Transpires that temp sensor was telling ECU that it was minus 30 and overfuelling.

HTH

Paul

MrE
28-05-2007, 09:20 PM
My money's on the blocked fuel filter, seen it happen before.