PDA

View Full Version : F.A.O. Elite Detailer

eob
05-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Hello,
I've been looking through the detailing threads to get an idea for a new regime for my CC.

I've noticed that a lot of the product links to the Elite Detailer website are dead. I suspect this is due to a change in product lineup.
How about an update?

As per your advice I was thinking about buying:
2x Wool mits for cleaning the body work using one for the lower six inches and bumpers.
1x Microfibre mit for the wheels.
1x Ultra safe drying towel.
1x Meguiars Last touch and spray bottle.

The car is new but I fancy claybarring it and sealing it. Which product would you recommend for that?

Also, at the moment I use turtle wax car wash, is there anything I should substitute that for?

I'm not looking for a show car finish, but I have this car for three years now and I would like to keep it looking its best.

TIA, Ed.

elitedetailer
11-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Hello,
I've been looking through the detailing threads to get an idea for a new regime for my CC.

I've noticed that a lot of the product links to the Elite Detailer website are dead. I suspect this is due to a change in product lineup.
How about an update?

As per your advice I was thinking about buying:
2x Wool mits for cleaning the body work using one for the lower six inches and bumpers.
1x Microfibre mit for the wheels.
1x Ultra safe drying towel.
1x Meguiars Last touch and spray bottle.

The car is new but I fancy claybarring it and sealing it. Which product would you recommend for that?

Also, at the moment I use turtle wax car wash, is there anything I should substitute that for?

I'm not looking for a show car finish, but I have this car for three years now and I would like to keep it looking its best.

TIA, Ed.

Hi Ed

Your list looks good, I apologise about the dead links, our next Zaino shipment is overdue by 3 months now so we have run out of stock on a few lines. We should have some in though soon.

For the claying, this is a simple kit: http://elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=118&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2

With regards to the Turtle wax shampoo, its no good, I would recommend the Zaino Z-7 or if you want to spend a little less then one of the Meguiars shampoos which are £4.95.

Are you also thinking about waxing/sealing the paintwork also?

Thanks
EliteDetailer :beerchug:

eob
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Ed

Your list looks good, I apologise about the dead links, our next Zaino shipment is overdue by 3 months now so we have run out of stock on a few lines. We should have some in though soon.

For the claying, this is a simple kit: http://elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=118&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2

With regards to the Turtle wax shampoo, its no good, I would recommend the Zaino Z-7 or if you want to spend a little less then one of the Meguiars shampoos which are £4.95.

Are you also thinking about waxing/sealing the paintwork also?

Thanks
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

RE Sealing/Waxing. (I take it this is two terms for the same activity)
Yes, as I say the car is brand new but Ive been working away so it has been sitting outside for the last 5 weeks. I only had it 4 days before I came away.
I get home sometime this week so hope to tackle this on my week off next week.

So in order of products that I need, it would be:

Shampoo/Wash - Meguiars Hyper Wash (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=114&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)
Drying Aid/Clay bar lube - Meguiars Last Touch (Drying Aid) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=53&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)
Clay bar - Meguiars Quik Clay Kit (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=118&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)
Seal/Wax - Zaino All In One (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=17&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

So if the car was clayed/waxed now in October, would it only need cleaned with the Hyper Wash then dried every 1-2 weeks?
Then re-clayed again in March time?

Excuse my ignorance on this but as you can see, my usual routine used to be Turtle Wax wash followed by diluted Mer then vigirously chamoied. :Blush2:

elitedetailer
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi

Yes you can use Hyper wash, you can also use Meguiars Shampoo Plus which has nice lubricating properties.

Zaino All-In-One is a great versatile product and you will like it.

March should be about right depending on how many miles you do and how its stored but March should be fine.

Regards

eob
12-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi

Yes you can use Hyper wash, you can also use Meguiars Shampoo Plus which has nice lubricating properties.

Zaino All-In-One is a great versatile product and you will like it.

March should be about right depending on how many miles you do and how its stored but March should be fine.

Regards

Okay, so the Zanio all-in-one is a wax and will seal the paintwork?
I do 70 miles a day, Mon - Fri.
:beerchug:

curiousgeorge
19-10-2009, 01:04 PM
What's wrong with the Turtle Wax shampoo? I thought it was great.

Much better than the Autoglym Shampoo which produces very little suds and seems very weak.

eob
19-10-2009, 01:17 PM
What's wrong with the Turtle Wax shampoo? I thought it was great.

Much better than the Autoglym Shampoo which produces very little suds and seems very weak.

Well thats what I thought too. I'm just looking outside at my car and the water is beading lovely and thats after been sitting outside for four weeks.

I'm definetly going to clay the car and seal it with perhaps the Meguiars Gold Class stuff.
Have you seen the Quick Detailer being used as a drying aid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1jEZbhqp0&feature=related
I *think* that the idea is to spritz the car after you have rinsed the wash off and the water sheets and runs off so that you don't have to use as much effort to dry.
The quick detailer can then be used in between detailing to give the car that just waxed look.
I think that you alter the dilution between using as a drying aid and using as a detailer.

eob
19-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, and I understand that you also use the quick detailer as a lubricant when claying the car but I also read that a dilution of shampoo works the same.

It is all very confusing but the results speak for themselves.
I hope to treat the car to some kind of session on Saturday, havn't made up my mind what to buy yet.

curiousgeorge
19-10-2009, 01:32 PM
The Turtle Wax shampoo has its own wax, that's the only reason I can think why EliteDetailer doesn't receommend it.
I never used a drying aid, just have two or three microfibre cloths, each drying more than the previous one.
Yes, definitely use shampoo as a clay lubricant, not only is it much cheaper, but it's much quicker to apply. You'll be pumping the trigger hundreds of times using the detailing spray. And because you apply more of it on the bodywork the lubrication is better.
I used Zaino Z-5 as a sealant and Z-6 as a gloss enhancer and to remove water stains. Z-5 is good for hiding swirls. I keep getting them on the bonnet, no matter how careful I am (my car is black), and so I reapplied another layer of Z-5 last time I washed it and that seemed to hide them well. That's all you should need and I've been pleased with the results.