PDA

View Full Version : Question smoking poor starter

andy good
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM
HI does anyone know what would cause my tdi passat to start badly smoke on start up and also when driving if i ease off the throttle to slow down then try to accelerate the car smokes like mad and wont pull until the smoke has cleared almost as though it is overfueling ,the smoke is white .i was thinking it was lack of compression but am not sure and wondered what your thoughts were . Thanks all for a great site Andy.

martin1810
05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
White smoke is unburnt diesel unless it is steam from a blown head gasket. I would change the temperature sensor and get a code read. A number of things could cause this.

andy good
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Many thanks martin i will do that thanks andy

andy good
07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I fitted a new temperature sender unit and there is no difference was going to get a lead etc for vagcom could you tell me where the connector is on the car? so i can get the right lead for it many thanks the car is 1999

Hex69
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I fitted a new temperature sender unit and there is no difference was going to get a lead etc for vagcom could you tell me where the connector is on the car? so i can get the right lead for it many thanks the car is 1999

Under the coin tray in the centre console next to the handbrake, if you lift the piece of rubber up, you'll see the connector.

http://z.about.com/w/experts/Volkswagen-Repair-833/2008/10/Passat_OBD.jpg

andy good
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Thankyou found it now looked everywhere but there i think its easy when you know all the best Andy

gor131-x
18-10-2009, 05:40 AM
mine gives white smoke in the morning when its cold but goes fine once warmed up,dont know if that helps but just thought i'd give some feedback

andy good
18-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks mine doesnt start now just waiting for a vagcom lead to arrive then ill see what that shows up if i can work out how to use it im suspecting poor compression ill have to get a compression tester also i suppose just hoping the vagcom can shed some light on the problem before i strip it down thanks for the support anyway if mine was only that bad i would leave well alone .Thanks Andy