PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Starting Problem

thegroovyfox
05-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Can any one offer any advice on this:-

I have a 2003 B5 Tdi estate, every now and again and its getting worse when I turn the key to start the car nothing happens. I get dash lights they don't really dim. If I turn the key on and off enough times some times it will start, other times if I rock it in gear it will start but not always - usually a combination of the above is required.

Once it has been run it is generally fine, stop and re-start with out any problem. This totaly random, can be fine for weeks or play up for several days in a row.

My thoughts are:
Ingnition switch fault ?
Starter relay ? Do these have one ?
Starter motor ?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Craig.

martin1810
05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Next time it does it, try pulling the terminal off the starter (not the bolt-on one) and running a spare lead from the +ve battery terminal to the starter terminal. If it turns over you can be fairly sure the ignition sw itch is at fault. Might be worth just checking and cleaning all the connections. Could always be a bad connection. good luck

headache56
10-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I had a similar fault but the dash lights DID dim and I had a flurry of VAGCOM electrical related error codes. It was due to a faulty ignition switch.

Dustcap
15-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi,

Can any one offer any advice on this:-

I have a 2003 B5 Tdi estate, every now and again and its getting worse when I turn the key to start the car nothing happens. I get dash lights they don't really dim. If I turn the key on and off enough times some times it will start, other times if I rock it in gear it will start but not always - usually a combination of the above is required.

Once it has been run it is generally fine, stop and re-start with out any problem. This totaly random, can be fine for weeks or play up for several days in a row.

My thoughts are:
Ingnition switch fault ?
Starter relay ? Do these have one ?
Starter motor ?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Craig.

Hi, did you sort it in the end and what was it? I have the same problem. Cheers