PDA

View Full Version : Defragmentation???

vespa
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I defrag regularly but now I notice that there are a small amount of files that refuse to defragment. I have run all cleaners available to me and checked for viruses. It started when I dumped Real Player as I didn't use it. Any ideas please?

ImCammers
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Some files are permanant and cannot be moved these are often Windows Files or Windows components. Doesn't particular matter regarding these.

The reason for defragging a computer is to prelong a Hard Drive, so it doesn't have to work as hard. When defragging a computer moves files closer to the centre of the disk (a hard drive is rounded) so the drive itsself has to work less. However some computers which feature 'Solid State' drives (Flash Drives are known as 'Solid State') and have no moving parts, therefore would be more 'realiable' then traditional HD's.

As for keeping a computer maintaned i would recommend using 'Compressed Air' to remove dust. Dust is a computers worst enemy! as it acts like a insulation and Computers hate Heat! (which is probaly one of the main reason's get knackered so easily) As laptops have one major floor, the fact the fan is on the bottom, the bottom of the laptop being on a table or desk which means that the heat isn't being pushed anywhere.

vespa
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. The defrag section that shows the fragmented files shows no files after defragmentation but in the breakdown above showing folders and files shows 1% unable to defrag. All rather weird as about 3 files a day are added to the total. I have run all spywares and virus checkers and nothing shows up. I have uninstalled Spybot and Real Player recently and wonder if these have some residual files that are collecting info. I have also run a registry cleaner and file cleaner.
Any furthur thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to blast all the fans clean (Laptop)

eob
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
As has been said, some of these files are locked by the OS so the defrag program will not be able to move them during run time.
Programs like Diskeeper (http://www.diskeeper.com/) allow you to do a boot time defrag and also defrag the paging file (Virtual memory).
It also has an application called Frag Gaurd which tries to limit the amout of fragmentation as you work. A kind of defrag-on-the-fly if you will.

vespa
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank you for your help.

Paul_mkV_golf
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
...also as a defrag utility I use defraggler http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download rather than the bog standard defrag utility that comes with Windows. Seems quicker too.

Paul