PDA

View Full Version : How To Replacing clock spring on airbag.

emmbeedee
03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi, I have my airbag light permanently stuck on & from advice on here it is probably the clock spring.
When I had my MOT last month they switched it off for me - said it was drivers air bag. It was off for a while but is now back on.
Is there a guide anywhere as to what is involved in replacing or repairing this spring? A "how to" type thing.
I have searched the forum but can only find info on Audis & Passats, etc.
Thanks in advance for any info.

emmbeedee
13-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Bump - anyone any info. please?

mscnoe
16-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello - there seems to be a stunning silence on this subject!

I have replaced the clock spring on a Galaxy ('96 90bhp) and used the (dont laugh) :mad: Haynes manual for guidance. I had it done once by the garage when the car was (only) about 6 years old, it went again at which point I did it myself. My drive involves a lot of lock to lock steering movements which is probably why .... I guess I can look forward to it happening with the Alhambra before too long!

I don't think it will be a lot different on the Alhambra, seem to recall there being a locking washer that was suppose to be repaced with a new one and a torque figure for the big nut as well - after all you don't want the wheel coming off whilst driving! I will have to check my bookshelves as I'm not sure if I let the Haynes go with the car - tend to think I didn't, may be able to extract what you need...... watch this space.

emmbeedee
17-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for that, I never thought a Haynes manual would be helpful with this problem. IME they tend to say "Go back to you dealer" with things like that.
If you can find any more info it would be great as I am fed up with the red light on all the time. I have the engine light flashing sometimes now also, don't know if it's related or not.:confused: Once I have fixed the airbag I will have to see if that stops, otherwise have to get the codes read or buy a reader. I'm told they are quite cheap on e-bay now but wonder how good they are.:1zhelp:
Do you remember if you had to relace the clock spring or is it just a case of cleaning the contact?
My wipers are working fine now after fitting grease nipples as per your suggestion so thanks for that also.;)
Edit - just realised it wasn't you but mscomms who suggested the grease nipples to fix the wiper problem, but thanks anyway!:Blush:

mscnoe
17-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I do still have the manual, pages a little dog eared so not sure how well it would scan. There are about 4 - 5 pages needed, as it refers across sterring wheel removal and electrics, and some torque settings too.

I removed the mechanism and did a repair - its a coil of flat cable and a spring which winds up and down as you go from lock to lock. The break was at one end though I can't remember the details now. If you are at all unsure and have a friendly local garage but they would replace with a new one - must disconnect battery before starting work so don't inadvertently trigger the airbag :aargh4:.
Can I e-mail the pages to you tonight, not sure if it can be done through the forum - oops - just found an attachment icon! - or have you a bookshop/ car place that stocks the manuals, think they are maybe £15 or so. It was for Galaxy from '95 to 2000 but a lot is common to Alhambra and Sharan.

emmbeedee
17-11-2009, 05:57 PM
OK, thanks for that, I have sent you a PM.