PDA

View Full Version : cutting out at junctions? sensor???

DANSKEZ
24-04-2007, 09:32 PM
i drive a nreg golfgti, has been ok for a year but has recently started cutting out at junctions or at crawling speed is this a sensor problem or something simpler:1zhelp:

Huweth
24-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Is it just cutting out when the car is not rolling enough to keep the engine going? Can you stop it from stalling by using the throttle? Please give us more description.

DANSKEZ
24-04-2007, 10:30 PM
out first it was very occasional and then it got more and more frequent, so i could get round it by reving before i came to a junction but even then some times it would cut out. its now totaly inpracticle to over rev every time i come to a junction or trafic lights:1zhelp:

Huweth
25-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Well it could be a number of things;
1. Clogged fuel filter
2. Air leak into intake (from a number of places)
3. Bad idle adjustment
4. Failing battery/alternator
5. A million other things

Best bet is to get a friendly local mechanic to have a look unless you are confident under the bonnet. Try and isolate all the symptoms and times it happens so that he'll have the best idea of where to start. For instance, does it happen when the engine is cold? etc...

alex130tdi
25-04-2007, 11:00 AM
had exactly the same on my MKIII GTI. Its just gunk. it happens when you dip the clutch, 9 times out of ten i bet it just cuts out when you are coming to traffic lights. I thought it would be a huge job, but took me 20 mins to clean up, I have some instructions somewhere as to what you need to do.

alex130tdi
25-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Got this from the site I found it on when I had a MKIII problem, it really will sort out the problem.
any other cutting out issues likely to be relay related for the ECU relay. this is definitely your issue though.. :)

This posting if for the problem of the engine cutting out at low revs, changing gear
(if you don;t change gear quick enough), or when idling.

I HAVE A PICTURE ALSO..BUT I CAN'T ATTACH IT ..IF SOMONE CAN ADVISE ON HOW TO INSERT AN IMAGE..

NOTE THAT POINT 5 BELOW... i DIDN;T "Remove the breather assembly" JUST CLEANED IT AS BEST i COULD WHERE IT WAS.

**************************Original posting**************************

Posted: 26 November 2003 at 20:30 | IP Logged

I had this problem for ages - it's such an easy fix that I'm really pi55ed off with myself

for not doing something about it before !

I would suggest that the tools / parts required are :-

1 pair of Molegrips / Vicegrips
1 Largeish Phillips Screwdriver
1 Ordinary Screwdriver
1 pair Snips
1 bottlecleaner (like a scrubbing brush, but bristles all round on a long piece of wire)
1 tin WD40 or Petrol or something similar
4 x 1.5 inch Hose / Jubilee Clips
1 piece of hose, 1 - 1.5 inch diameter, basically a sharp corner about 3 inches total length
1 piece of hose, 1 - 1.5 inch diameter, a sharp corner with about 8 inches straight
(I used some hoses of an old Passat that was being broken for spares.)

1) With the vicegrips, remove the two clips holding on the large hose from the Airbox (red

arrow) to the Throttle Housing (green arrow).

2) Pull out the smaller hose that is held by a clip on the large hose (dark blue arrow)

3) Remove the two phillips screws on the rocker cover breather assembly (pink arrows) and

remove the plastic cover - it will click and lift out - lever it carefully with a

screwdriver.

4) Remove the breather hoses (light blue arrows). You will need to snip the clips off, so

ensure you have appropraite hose clips to replace them. You will probably find that it is

extremely soft and possibly holed at the underside of the top hose.

5) Remove the breather assembly (not pictured, but under the cover with the pink arrows) - it

just pops out - be careful not to damage it when removing it. Clean it out with bottle

cleaner / petrol / WD40

6) Using the bottlecleaner and petrol / WD40 clean the butterfly, which is inside the

throttle housing, under the green arrow in the pic.

7) If your breather pipe is not holed, also use the bottle cleaner / petrol / WD40 to clean

out the hoses.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/Smileys/modern/cool.gif Using the hose clips and new pipes (if req'd) refit the breather hoses.

9) Reassemble everything.

This is an extremely worthwhile repair to make if your car has this annoying fault. I

instantly noticed the difference to the idle of the car - it feels like it is running better

and stronger and, according to my MFA fuel computer, is getting approx 6mpg better fuel

consumption.

alex130tdi
25-04-2007, 11:12 AM
forgot to say, its the Throttle body you need to clean, should be simple enough..

Sam
25-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I HAVE A PICTURE ALSO..BUT I CAN'T ATTACH IT ..IF SOMONE CAN ADVISE ON HOW TO INSERT AN IMAGE..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5780

alex130tdi
25-04-2007, 11:27 AM
ah sorry - i havent got a picture (well not handy) i had copied that from aonther website and pasted it in verbatim. ;)

DANSKEZ
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
i believe i need a new sensor any 1 know how much id xpect to pay on n reg 8vgti golf